Fram PH7317 - 9,100 miles - '15 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
My opinion. Many people bought into the YouTube Fram OCOD paper end cap hysteria and perpetuated the myth making it go viral. Fists crumbling filter media. Redneck Shady Tree mechanics making false claims. Fram has long maintained that its paper media works better with a paper end cap. Glue sticks better. More flexible under pressure resisting a tear. People discounted Fram and believed the old guy on YouTube peeing on the OCOD and went for the metal end cap Purolator with the paper media. Then came multiple classic autopsys showing tears in the paper media near that stiff rigid metal end cap. Makes me think Fram was right. Reading replies you can tell there are many that still believe the redneck YouTubers. That the metal end cap is better somehow. I no longer believe it thanks to Bitog

I am not a follower, but am a leader. Stating that, I still will use only metal end cap oil filters. It has nothing to do with JOE BLOW and how he hates paper end caps. I am my own man and make my own decisions. And, I don't base them upon why Bubba Redneck will only use metal end caps over paper end caps. Comprende?
cool.gif

Great looking orange can. I know Fram rates them at 5k but I also believe they say "or" manufacturers specified OCI.

Anyway it looks great.

The filter looks good for 9k miles, but for $5 more, I'd spend the extra on a Fram Ultra. I run 10k OCIs and there's is no way in [censored] I'd personally use that filter that long on my cars.

Wow looks amazing for an orange can with almost twice it's rated mileage. Though I like the tough guards and ultras better il run an orange can without fear and have one on one of my kias now.

My opinion. Many people bought into the YouTube Fram OCOD paper end cap hysteria and perpetuated the myth making it go viral. Fists crumbling filter media. Redneck Shady Tree mechanics making false claims. Fram has long maintained that its paper media works better with a paper end cap. Glue sticks better. More flexible under pressure resisting a tear. People discounted Fram and believed the old guy on YouTube peeing on the OCOD and went for the metal end cap Purolator with the paper media. Then came multiple classic autopsys showing tears in the paper media near that stiff rigid metal end cap. Makes me think Fram was right. Reading replies you can tell there are many that still believe the redneck YouTubers. That the metal end cap is better somehow. I no longer believe it thanks to Bitog

This is SPOT ON. I have always trusted FRAM & never had any issues with them. FRAM bashers are irrational. I'd take an Extra Guard over a Puro Classic any day.

To OP, this filter looks absolutely awesome for the mileage. I am VERY impressed. Thanks for the C&P!

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Not bad for an OCOD at all. But still, use a real filter next time. The CQ Red is excellent, and probably *the* best value-to-dollar ratio out there. Cheaper than the orange can, MUCH better quality (metal end caps), and they're made by the same company!

What did you replace it with?

And the NAPA Silver.

The cheap Wixes are good, too. Napa Silver and Proselect, Microgard, and now Supertech.

I agree with LeakySeals too. There are many benefits to endcaps that flex with the media. They do not tear like Puro made stuff. The end caps don't rust either. This filter puts some of the Motorcraft filters I have dissected to shame.

The CQ Red I dissected had some 3/4" wide pleat spaces. I believe the media might tear at that place.

I think this is an impressive result for a filter that retails for a bit over $4.

Fram certainly makes these with good margin.

^^^ I think the main problem with the tearing Purolators was the very brittle media combined with the wide pleat spacing and large pleat V-spread. Even if those Purolators had fiber end caps, the media would most likely still have torn.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ I think the main problem with the tearing Purolators was the very brittle media combined with the wide pleat spacing and large pleat V-spread. Even if those Purolators had fiber end caps, the media would most likely still have torn.

+1. Agreed, but I would add Motorcraft FL820S to the list of filters that can tear.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
The filter looks good for 9k miles, but for $5 more, I'd spend the extra on a Fram Ultra. I run 10k OCIs and there's is no way in he.ck I'd personally use that filter that long on my cars.

Why Not?

If the engine is clean inside and the oil gets changed before it gets sludgy, the oil filter won't get plugged up. I ran almost 30,000 miles on a Motorcraft FL-1A (multiple oil changes) and it wasn't all sludged up when I cut it open.... Just little bits of carbon grit.

Modern oil filters and oil are pretty durn good now-a-days...
I see no problems running Orange Can to 10K on a clean engine.

Did you begin the filter cut with tin snips? Or did you drill a hole in it first?

I have an ADBV-free AC Delco PF61 with 12K on the filter and I want to take a look at it's innards.

Last edited:
Isnt a honda oil filter made by fram? If so and they are the exact same as an extra guard then if you go to honda and have the oil changed and go by the OLM then you will likely have more than 5k on the filter by the time you get the oil changed.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Isnt a honda oil filter made by fram? If so and they are the exact same as an extra guard then if you go to honda and have the oil changed and go by the OLM then you will likely have more than 5k on the filter by the time you get the oil changed.

The Honda OEM Fram is the extra guard but with a silicone ADBV

Looks great! IIRC, thats the over sized version of what our Civic takes. I will definitely try these when I run out of the filter stash. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Did you begin the filter cut with tin snips? Or did you drill a hole in it first?

I have an ADBV-free AC Delco PF61 with 12K on the filter and I want to take a look at it's innards.

I think I actually started it with a small chisel and then used the snips. Normally I use my Dremel, but you should also be able to use a hack saw if you don't have any other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back