FRAM PH3593A - 7,300mi OCI - Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHC

FRAM PH3593A, 1998 Subaru Legacy L, 2.2L, 145,000 miles, 7,300 mile OCI

Some wavy pleats but no tears. Backflow valve soft and pliable.

14822734898_ec1a548d92_z.jpg

14822645619_bc76f5107d_b.jpg

14822643019_be9108bd2a_z.jpg

14822729828_068fc36168_z.jpg

Not pretty, but it did its job and that's all you can ask. Beats a certain other brand with nicer looking construction but chronic tearing. Thanks.

wow looks actually great for how many miles on it. good old fram. Have the ph8 on my truck. I'll cut that open after this havoline comes out.

that is the only filter that is worse then the purolater with the tear issues.
Im leaning toward wix (Napa Gold) for my personal cars i will be cutting them open when im done and post my findings.

The Extra Guards seem to be very hit and miss in terms of their shape after an OCI. Someone here posted a PH16 with 3000 miles on it that looked terrible. Un-torn of course, but very wavy pleats. Almost looked smashed.

This thing looks better than what my Mopar filter did after 5000 miles. Looks excellent for the OCI.

PH - 5000 miles
TG - 10000 miles
XG - 15000 miles

Buy the filter that meets the requirements of your OCI and sleep well at night. You go Jay.

If you do work at an engine shop I dont know how you can say something so silly
Unless you have actually seen engine damage caused by a Fram filter then please let us know about it
If you have seen damage done by ANY brand let us know

Thanks for cutting and posting. It looks very similar to the PH3506 I cut open a few years ago. Wavy pleats and somewhat warped endcaps, but it seemed to work fine and caused no start-up noise.

I can't imagine that filter delivering the filtration efficiency specified on the box for the OCI here.

At some point, flimsy construction keeps the media from doing its job.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No bad for 7300 miles. I'd feel more comfortable with the TG though.

I think that's a good idea too. For now, I'm using Subaru's OEM (FRAM). These days I figure I'll give OEM's a try.

However, it didn't fail and this little 2.2L works like a mule with me whipping the hail out of it. So, for ~5,000 mile OCI's the OCOD gets a thumbs up from me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: R80RS
Not pretty, but it did its job and that's all you can ask. Beats a certain other brand with nicer looking construction but chronic tearing. Thanks.

I admit I was loyal to Tearolator, and an OCOD hater. I learned my lesson.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I can't imagine that filter delivering the filtration efficiency specified on the box for the OCI here.

At some point, flimsy construction keeps the media from doing its job.

What flimsy construction are you referring to? there are plenty of these filters ran for much longer that have been cut open and pleats, media, etc. were all intact and holding strong.

Are you looking at the photos here?

It appears to me that the end caps and filter media have no structural rigidity to keep the filter element within its build tolerances.

I would think partial filtration, at best, was delivered by this filter.

How can you judge structural rigidity by simply looking at a photo?
I think the filter looks great considering it was used well over its rated mileage.
Funny when a wix or another brand is wavy everyone says that's normal and don't reduce the filters abilities but let a fram be wavy just a little bit catastrophic failure. End caps are overrated and proven non-important.
Haters gonna hate.

The wider pleat spacing appears to be the result of some sort of crushing force on the endcaps.

The endcaps are not flat or parallel to each other.

These are entry level filters anyway.

The commercial oil filter market is an upsell market.

I just wouldn't run any standard filter for an extended OCI.

When I run FRAM OCOD's, I use a 4,000 mile OCI.

Oil filter manufacturers have stopped giving you more than your money's worth.

End caps don't have to be "flat and parallel" to each other out away from the center tube to still seal around the center tube hole on the end caps. Pretty poor, and obviously negatively biased "analysis" by just looking at photos that don't show the sealing indentations to prove sealing or not on the end caps.

Many posted up filters have shown more wavy pleats than this one, yet not much is said about that. EGs are rated at 5K, so yes this one was used somewhat longer, but that doesn't automatically mean it's toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back