Fram PH-16 @ 10K KM (6K Miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the poor res... Had issues shooting these. The media was intact and the cardboard end caps were also intact.

ff161.jpg

ff162.jpg

ff163.jpg

ff164.jpg

ff165.jpg

This last one looking in the can, there was chunks of carbon and small pieces of metal. (bits pictured).

Here is my Amsoil EAO filter for comparison, at the same mileage... (Not run on the same vehicle)

filter.JPG

Well, first, that filtration element looks horrible. The pleats may have still been attached, but if they're deforming this badly, it's only a matter of time until they're ripped free of the paper end caps.

You must have seen the pictures I posted of the failed Amsoil filter, with metal end caps. So, what do you suppose would have happened to a paper fram had it been exposed to forces sufficent to tear the pleats free of a metal end cap and a deep layer of cement?

Now, for the umpteenth bazillion time, let me repeat the question that ALL of the Fram worshipers refuse to address:
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
For the fifteenth bazillion time, will one of you Fram worshipers please explain why you would not choose the stronger, better-built filter that you can have for the same money as a Fram???????? NOBODY EVER seems to want to answer this question, no matter how many times I ask it. . ." That tells me what I need to know!

Someone, anyone, feel free to address this in a satisfactory manner, and then maybe I'll stop beating upon the trashy Fram filters. . .

This isn't my filter... This is from someone else's car. I wouldn't dare use it on my car, my my dad does...

I was just posting it for everyone to look at.

Filters up here are much more expensive, so many people run Fram because it's one of the cheapest to be had.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
This isn't my filter... This is from someone else's car. I wouldn't dare use it on my car, my my dad does...

I was just posting it for everyone to look at.

Filters up here are much more expensive, so many people run Fram because it's one of the cheapest to be had.
wink.gif

It's funny because the filter for my car is more expensive at Wallyworld (Fram) than at Napa (Napa gold), and im in London, ON.

I bought a 1516 Wix today (NG) for use on my 96 SL2.. I paid $4 Cdn. :)

This is why I stopped using Fram when I was 12!
LOL.gif
Wix and Purolator for me! Even though the Jeep doesn't like Purolators that much..

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
This is why I stopped using Fram when I was 12!
LOL.gif
Wix and Purolator for me! Even though the Jeep doesn't like Purolators that much..

they would like the FRAM-O-death even less after seeing that pic.
LOL.gif

Can't say it looks nice in there... The media is still securely attached to the cardboard end caps though FWIW.
whistle.gif

I really want to see the new 2ply xtended guards cut open after use. I bought one. But won't be able to use it for another 5000 miles.

Hey wait a minute, I have a PH16 on one our cars right now. If I had known that they all fail I wouldn't have used it. No more fram for me, maybe a supertech (or is that going to stir up some trouble?)

Well, first, that filtration element looks horrible. The pleats may have still been attached, but if they're deforming this badly, it's only a matter of time until they're ripped free of the paper end caps.

You must have seen the pictures I posted of the failed Amsoil filter, with metal end caps. So, what do you suppose would have happened to a paper fram had it been exposed to forces sufficent to tear the pleats free of a metal end cap and a deep layer of cement?

Now, for the umpteenth bazillion time, let me repeat the question that ALL of the Fram worshipers refuse to address:
For the fifteenth bazillion time, will one of you Fram worshipers please explain why you would not choose the stronger, better-built filter that you can have for the same money as a Fram???????? NOBODY EVER seems to want to answer this question, no matter how many times I ask it. . ." That tells me what I need to know!

Someone, anyone, feel free to address this in a satisfactory manner, and then maybe I'll stop beating upon the trashy Fram filters. . .

I encounter people all the time that swear by FRAM, and it's mainly because grandaddy used FRAM, daddy used FRAM, etc.

"If I don't already know it, it ain't worth knowin'"

"It was good enough for ma grandaddy, it's good enough for me, too".

"I like the orange color".

"I like the sandpaper grip".

"I like the name FRAM".

Quote:
(or is that going to stir up some trouble?)

Probably ....but at least the rest of us get to watch.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
Hey wait a minute, I have a PH16 on one our cars right now. If I had known that they all fail I wouldn't have used it. No more fram for me, maybe a supertech (or is that going to stir up some trouble?)
They don't all fail. Bashing fram is just the fashionable thing to do around here.

Originally Posted By: brian12
Originally Posted By: Buick92
They don't all fail. Bashing fram is just the fashionable thing to do around here.

Penalty flag thrown!* Yes, I know it was someone else's hyperbole, but none of us who legitimately criticize Fram quality have ever claimed that they "all" fail. Or even that they fail routinely. Obviously, they don't fail all that often (that we know of). The big problem in my eyes is two-fold. First is the obviously smaller margin before failure. The second is the value thing I repeat all the time -- why not get a much better filter when you can for essentially the same money.

Fashionable? Hey, the truth is the truth. The guts of a Fram are what they are. We are a discussion forum, hence we discuss things, such as filters we don't like. If Fram would like to put an end to this, they could start building quality filters. If you find the Fram discussions to be unfashionable, by all means, pass them up.
cheers3.gif

* Anyone have or have seen a nice GIF for "throwing the penalty flag"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back