Fram PB50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram bypass filter for several tractors.
Fits Baldwin OB1305 head, replacement for Baldwin B50.
Caught them on sale at the local Farm and Home for 1.00 each, so one got sacrificed.
Simply nothing special here. Thin can, standard media, simple button in output for restriction, leaf spring at top of can holds media cartridge to baseplate. Not even a gasket between the cartridge and baseplate.
Just another reason for me to explore a better bypass than my pieced together homebrew kit, IMO.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What... no cardboard?

It's not cardboard, it's a fiber material that even some expensive Euro filters use. Those have been posted here in the past.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Just another reason for me to explore a better bypass than my pieced together homebrew kit, IMO.

FYI:
The equivalent Wix bypass (51050) has a 10 micron nominal rating.
The Fram Ultra (full-flow filter) at 10 microns is 94 percent efficient.

Those bypass filters aren't the super Micronic filters we dream about . Those bypass filters were for engines with out filters as an add on .

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What... no cardboard?

It's not cardboard, it's a fiber material that even some expensive Euro filters use. Those have been posted here in the past.

Yep. I think even Bently oem's are fiber end capped.

beanoil,

Thank you for the pictures. If possible, are you able to measure the size of the oil flow restrictor hole with a drill bit or gas torch - tip cleaner. A measurement would be appreciated because I'm thinking of using this filter for a homemade engine oil bypass setup.

Have a good one,

xtell

Originally Posted By: xtell
beanoil,

Thank you for the pictures. If possible, are you able to measure the size of the oil flow restrictor hole with a drill bit or gas torch - tip cleaner. A measurement would be appreciated because I'm thinking of using this filter for a homemade engine oil bypass setup.

Have a good one,

xtell

1/16th bit goes in. Even that small, the amount of oil that is returned to the fill tube on my PowerStroke is surprising. It's a solid 1/4" stream with good force. I estimate a pint every 10 seconds or so.
On average, restrictors are between .06 and .10.
Some kits are output restricted... talk is that puts pressure across the media to drive particles into the media. Some kits restrict inputs to ensure slow flow through the filter. The Wix and NAPA filters have two small holes in the base plate, and a restricted output. Fram and Baldwin have standard baseplates.
I really want a small version of the Luber Finer LFP9750!
Good luck with your project. Post up some pics when done!

Last edited:
beanoil,

Thank you for the information on the orifice size. I found an oil restrictor fitting that has a .03 opening and comes in various external thread sizes so I should be able to mount it into a filter mount from a line coming off of a sandwich adapter or oil pressure sending unit line. Hopefully that will slow down the oil flow to the filter. If it is still to much volume, there is also an oil restrictor fitting available with a non drilled screw plug that you can drill your own hole in. Also, thanks for the heads up on the differences between the Wix and Baldwin base plates. Now all I have to do is start plumbing this thing up. I have a remote filter mounted for the tranny fluid and a remote filter mounted for the power steering fluid already (both us standard 3/4-16 automotive oil filters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back