Fram Orange can was same price as PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was checking prices at AAP online and they had a Fram ExtraGuard priced the same as a PureOne

Can you believe that? $6.49 either one?

I bet they still sell more ExtraGuards than PureOnes at the same price.

Shows the power of marketing -- I can't believe people would use Orange can if it was 3 times cheaper than a PureOne.

Just shows what a great deal PureOnes are

Here's the webpage:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/...151_10051_-1___

Then you know which one to buy. And I would not buy either from Adavance auto parts.

Buy your Pureones from Amazon.

Bill

The orange color is somehow very convincing, that there must be a good filter inside. it reminds me of the texture of what an orange is like, when it is cut,. also, orange is such a bold color, of course any filter with a bold color must be bold for a reason - what a scam.

however, you still do not see piled up to the sky, wrecked and burnt out engines, from using the dreaded orange can of death,

so that tells me, that my own habit, of changing the filter every second or third time, depending on how cold it is outside, and depending on mileage, is probably alright. especially since i use a "premium" filter, like the magnificent SuperTech. (as if that name, is not also, some cheap brilliant marketing name that also actually works, except in this case, ST actually is good, plus, it's the cheapest one, too)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Then you know which one to buy. And I would not buy either from Adavance auto parts.

Buy your Pureones from Amazon.

Bill

I didn't say "buying" -- said "pricing." I always check Amazon. I had heard that AAP had some sales and free shipping, so I was just evaluating.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Shows the power of marketing

Almost as powerful as unsubstantiated internet rumors... 8)

Yeah, cutting open oil filters, taking pictures, and examining them is a "unsubstantiated rumor?"

What is your definition of a "fact?" Something that cannot be seen, touched, or heard?

Oh no, I seen this thread taking this route before long....

To the OP: All I can say is sometimes more expensive sells a product. If it cost this much then it must be good etc.

Where are these product failure picts? Or is it the usual complaints about what people think is a bad filter. I have been on this site a lot, but have never seen a failed filter pic, just complaints about the probability of failure.

Last edited:
Let's see..

Number #1 filter? FRAM

Yet I'm not seeing all the dead engines from using those filters.
21.gif

And plenty of us have run Frams for MANY MANY miles and no problems. The engines last and last.

I like facts. And those FACTS are just that. FACTS.

I don't use very many Frams now because something better came along. Supertech that are cheaper or the internet that allows me to but other filters cheaper.

Bill

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Where are these product failure picts? Or is it the usual complaints about what people think is a bad filter. I have been on this site a lot, but have never seen a failed filter pic, just complaints about the probability of failure.

I just saw a pic of a Fram ExtraGuard and there was a gap where the filter media was connected together. Let's see if I can find the post.....

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Let's see..

Number #1 filter? FRAM

Yet I'm not seeing all the dead engines from using those filters.
21.gif

And plenty of us have run Frams for MANY MANY miles and no problems. The engines last and last.

I like facts. And those FACTS are just that. FACTS.

I don't use very many Frams now because something better came along. Supertech that are cheaper or the internet that allows me to but other filters cheaper.

Bill

I think that just tells us how unimportant an oil filter actually is.

The only FRAM I'd ever use it the Xtended Guard ... metal end caps, synthetic wire backed media, etc).

Yeah, an ExtraGaurd vs. PureONE for the same price is ridiculous. Anyone who knows both filters would pick the PureONE with no hesitation.

When did AAP start carrying the orange can? I haven't been in the past 2 weeks but when I'm there all I see is a wall of Purolator and a few Motorcrafts, maybe a couple of KNs and a Mopar or something.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
When did AAP start carrying the orange can? I haven't been in the past 2 weeks but when I'm there all I see is a wall of Purolator and a few Motorcrafts, maybe a couple of KNs and a Mopar or something.

The AAP by me in northern NJ has always carried lots of Fram oil filters. Ironically there is a Walmart within a 1/8 mile of the AAP store. I wonder how many Fram's they actually sell
21.gif
. They also carry lots of Purolator and some Motorcraft, AC Delco, K&N and Mobil 1 oil filters.

Bill, without cutting the Orange Fram's open my problem with them was consistant dry oil starts. Plus several of the Orange cans on my Ford truck, with the 300 6 cyl, almost exploded. They were bulging. I never had that situation with any other oil filter.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back