Fram made Honda A02 filter C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the 2005 Honda Pilot I picked up yesterday. There was about 150 Miles on this filter/oil. The dealer performed an oil change prior to putting the car on the lot for sale. 214,700 miles total on the vehicle. Just giving it a full once-over before making it my daily driver. Refilled with PU 5w-30 and an Ultra 7317.

ADBV went into the trash before pics. It was perfect as expected.

Some nice chunky carbon left in the can. There is slight Tan varnish on the vlavetrain as seen through the oil fill hole.

I have to ask, where does carbon come from...and how does it make its way into the oil? I ask because I have seen this black residue on the filter pleats of oil filters I use on my Accord.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I have to ask, where does carbon come from...and how does it make its way into the oil? I ask because I have seen this black residue on the filter pleats of oil filters I use on my Accord.

Combustion gases blowing by the piston rings.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep.

I typically find this type of material in the oil control rings upon disassembly.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep.

I typically find this type of material in the oil control rings upon disassembly.

So its good that its being removed and filtered out.

150 mile OCI? I can understand wanting to give it a once over before making it your own, but this is taking it to new levels. With all due respect, this is a complete waste of oil and a filter.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
150 mile OCI? I can understand wanting to give it a once over before making it your own, but this is taking it to new levels. With all due respect, this is a complete waste of oil and a filter.

First, I don't throw the oil in the trash, or dump it in a hole in my backyard. It gets reused on other equipment I own, or recycled for other uses. Why aren't you complaining about those who cut new, unused filters? At least this one got some crud out of the engine before cutting.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can you show the picture of the tool which you used to cut open the filter?

image_21651.jpg

Good old Harbor Freight exhaust cutter.

First, I don't throw the oil in the trash, or dump it in a hole in my backyard. It gets reused on other equipment I own, or recycled for other uses. Why aren't you complaining about those who cut new, unused filters? At least this one got some crud out of the engine before cutting.

I see nothing to be gained by changing oil out of a vehicle after 150 miles. Period. Just my two cents. As for the filter, unless you no longer have a vehicle that requires that application, yes, a cut open unused filter is also waste.

I see nothing to be gained by changing oil out of a vehicle after 150 miles. Period. Just my two cents. As for the filter, unless you no longer have a vehicle that requires that application, yes, a cut open unused filter is also waste.

So what if I would have found bearing material in the filter? Would it be justified then? Significant carbon in the media? What then? If I am paying my money for a vehicle with 205k on the clock, I will check it out thoroughly.

This is my "new" daily beater. My oil, $, & time.

A few others learned something from this thread. That is also of value. Same for the virgin filter cutters.

I'll remember how wrong I was when I am lubing the slide on my wood splitter with this oil instead of new 10w-30 from my stash.
grin.gif

So what if I would have found bearing material in the filter? Would it be justified then? Significant carbon in the media? What then? If I am paying my money for a vehicle with 205k on the clock, I will check it out thoroughly.

This is my "new" daily beater. My oil, $, & time.

A few others learned something from this thread. That is also of value. Same for the virgin filter cutters.

I'll remember how wrong I was when I am lubing the slide on my wood splitter with this oil instead of new 10w-30 from my stash.
grin.gif

What you did was a wise decision, you were ruling out possible issues. Enjoy your ride.

Good for you to start a baseline change. Don't forget all the other fluids too.

Enjoy your recycled, new-to-you, ride!

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Good for you to start a baseline change. Don't forget all the other fluids too.

Enjoy your recycled, new-to-you, ride!

Thanks!

I have a gallon of VTM-4 for the diff and a bunch of PS fluid waiting in the garage for the weekend. The brake fluid will be flushed in a couple of weeks when I put good rotors and Akebono pads at all four corners. The dealer serviced the tranny so that is good for a while. Even with the mileage the cosmetic condition is great, and the price was too good to pass up. This is my 9th Honda vehicle, and fourth with 200k plus. Two of those were sold in running condition, and two were totaled by inexperienced drivers hitting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back