Fram Filter for my Toyota made in China!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to get a new Fram air filter for my Toyota today. Took it out of the box to look at before I bought it. Good thing, it said made in China. Needless to say I did not buy it.

If China can't get dog food additives or baby formula right. Why would I want to buy an air filter for my Toyota made in China?

Last edited:
Why does the location of the manufacturing plant matter so much to you folks?

You should buy the product based on the quality and reputation of the particular brand/model. I've had just as many DOA Made in USA products as Made in China products.

Anyway, the FRAM air filters seem to have a good reputation around here, so I wouldn't hesitate to use one regardless of where it was made.

For us older guys, it's a matter of principle and perception. It's just a bit harder for us to choke down the idea of ALL of our manufacturing going to China.

China can make excellent stuff. Gear Wrench tools by Danaher is a good example. But, quality control from China is still hit or miss on a lot of stuff.

Some of us are still concerned about the "miss" aspect. Many people are driving with Chinese rotors with no problems. I get sad when I buy maintenance stuff at work (motors, sheaves, everything) or personal stuff like Red Wing boots and it all comes from China.......my Redwings are doing fine, by the way.

Just give us time, Critic.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

You should buy the product based on the quality and reputation of the particular brand/model. I've had just as many DOA Made in USA products as Made in China products.

Anyway, the FRAM air filters seem to have a good reputation around here, so I wouldn't hesitate to use one regardless of where it was made.

Why not buy something with a good reputation that is ALSO made in the USA when possible? Maybe you don't care that jobs and money are leaving our country? The long term consequenses are not good.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck

Why not buy something with a good reputation that is ALSO made in the USA when possible? Maybe you don't care that jobs and money are leaving our country? The long term consequenses are not good.

I totally agree. One of the reasons we bought or new Sienna was the 85% U.S. content. I'd much rather support workers in Indiana than in Canada, Mexico, or Japan.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar

I totally agree. One of the reasons we bought or new Sienna was the 85% U.S. content. I'd much rather support workers in Indiana than in Canada, Mexico, or Japan.

OK, all the countries close down our borders and refuse to deal and trade with anyone else.
Where would that leave everyone ? and would it make any sense ?

It'd be like saying you won't get the plumber or electrician from the next village, because they come from the next village.

Jobs?...........A middle class again?

And why hire a well paid Union worker when you can get a illegal to do the job for 8.00 an hour?

We shoot ourselves in the foot to save money.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar

Except the PROFIT from your Sienna goes to Japan. Unlike the profit from the GM that's built in Oshawa up here in Canada. Thanks by the way, it's not like Canada provides anything useful to our biggest trading partner.......you.

I have nothing against Canadians, but if I were to choose between a Camry made in the US, a Fusion made in Mexico, and whatever comparable car made in Canada by an US car company, I would choose the Camry over the other two. I believe in supporting the people rather than the company. What good does it do the people if the company pockets the money but doesn't create jobs locally? Only reason companies outsource jobs to other countries is to cut cost. What's the likelihood that if I buy the Fusion that I would help the little guy more than I would if I purchased the Camry?

Sometimes it is really hard to find things that are made in the US. A good example would be computers and other electronics. And even when you do find them, they cost a lot more. When I'm buying something and find one that is made in the US and is fairly close in price to something made in a foreign country with comparable quality I would take the US made one. But every year it gets harder to find items that match that criteria.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Jobs?...........A middle class again?

And why hire a well paid Union worker when you can get a illegal to do the job for 8.00 an hour?

We shoot ourselves in the foot to save money.

ZZman, if that was directed at me, I'm not from the US
wink.gif

I believe in international trade, my country only has a small population so we need to sell most everything we produce OS (these days mainly minerals and coal) to have the standard of living and freedom we enjoy, as do similar countries like Canada.

agree 100%

Originally Posted By: Hirev
Went to get a new Fram air filter for my Toyota today. Took it out of the box to look at before I bought it. Good thing, it said made in China. Needless to say I did not buy it.

If China can't get dog food additives or baby formula right. Why would I want to buy an air filter for my Toyota made in China?

Get used to it. The new oil filters (cartridge type) are OEM made in Thailand, Wix from Taiwan, so Fram from China isn't too far out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back