Fram extra guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 5 quarts of Quaker state and a fram filter for $13.99, seemed like a good deal but this will be my first experience with a fram, I didn't over pay for it so I'll try it. It's on a 2005 Caravan, I'm sure I'll be paranoid listening for sounds after reading all the bad things about frams over the years.

It will work fine as Frams have for decades and millions of miles on millions of vehicles.

The only big issue with them is their price compared to other filters you can buy for the same price or a little more with slightly better build quality or filtering ability.

See my thread in the oil section: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1509031

It will be fine...
thumbsup2.gif

Hey, the orange can of death(OCD) "provides 3X MORE engine protection than the average of leading economy oil filters." It says so right here, so it must be true.

Look as said by many folks here over and over, the OCofD will work fine, it's just that for the same(or less) money , and some shopping, better filters can be had. For less money I'd take an ST filter. For the same with offers, Pure One can be had.

For a 6M/3-5k OCI, the QS/OCofD combo should do fine. And remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
grin2.gif

Will be using a OCD soon. Acquired one in a oil and filter special. Bought the 20w-50 Maxlife for the bike, and the Fram came along for the ride. I wil use it on short run of dino something. used them for years on my old Toyota PU. It went 180K with no problems. Then again I could just reuse the OEM and sleep better at night.

I have been away for a while, but as I recall the issue with Fram is the construction. Their filtering medium is actually pretty efficient. The internals have been known to collapse and cut off oil flow. A Fram that lasts does a decent job. Maybe the failure rate is 1 in 100,000 or 1 in 250,000. I remember a link a while ago to a Land Rover site where the filter did collapse and toasted the engine. The point is that for the same or less money you can get a Wix, Purolator, STP or ST and have just about a zero failure rate. Or spend $10 and get the Fram Extra Guard that does have the metal end caps. For me, it's a no brainer. I use Purolator for short dino changes and Pure 1 for semi syn (which I don't use much of). For synthetic 10K changes, I use M1 or K&N Champion made filters. Even on my Cummins, they work great with Synthetic.

Quote:
Or spend $10 and get the Fram Extra Guard that does have the metal end caps.
I think you mean Extended Guard about $8 at Wally World.

Extra Guard = ocd, orange can of death. Everyone should know I'm just kidding. Read my earlier post. You must admit the name is catchy.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back