Fram Extra Guard going to Metal End Caps?

Saw this video where someone cut open an PH7317 and it had metal end caps and ecore. Apparently they got it from Amazon, so I don’t think it should be counterfeit? Also no silicone ADBV, but I’ll take this instead since Hondas have filter under the engine.
I bought one from Amazon to check, will arrive tomorrow.

I actually like the metal end caps with the eCore center tube, but only if the cage is done right (small windows) and the media pleat spacing is pretty tight. The Fram in the video looks well built.

Different size in vid below but looks like this same Champ filter .... they should change all the new Frams to this so they have a better build LOL..

That looks like the common Champ built filter like K&N and Supertech.
The ServiceChamp filters used by many quick lubes have the Fram baseplate but a Champ E-Core inside. The Walmart-only Core lines were also a strange Fram-Champ mashup.

Here we go again with Fram's fiber end caps...I never seen where there was a problem with the fiber end caps causing a problem. I sure seen many metal ones becoming unglued.
To address the OP's comment, that filter in no way resembles a Fram Exrtra Guard and I would question it being geniune. I would never use an oil filter coming from Amazon or Ebay where you have to worry about it being geniune.

That is a very odd video. The paint gloss and tint are definitely not factory Fram orange. And for some strange reason, the reviewer NEVER shows the markings on the model in question. He turns the Fram filter around a dozen times and points out changes to the product but he never turns the filter in question around so that the painted markings can be seen.

This is either a fake filter made with a WalMart Supertech item or it's somebody's idea of a video joke. If it's counterfeit then it's not even a good fake. It's a $3 WalMart filter in a $6 Fram box. I'd counterfeit the Ultra or something with a bit more profit if I'm going to jeopardize my morals and character.

Judging by the black ADBV, I'm guessing it was during the period where they were scrambling to find enough parts to just get something out on the shelf. It's not the first time we've seen Fram and Champ parts intermixed, I think they used to do that on the Defense filters, and the ST16 and equivalent sized filters actually use a Fram media cartridge in them.

Interesting. Based on what I see, looks like FB now calling Champ Labs made ecore filters, Extra Guard. One shown using a nitrile adbv. I don't remember that name of the AAP "Fram" labeled filter that does the same, but there is one. "Force"?

Add a silicone adbv to Champ Labs made and keep the WM EG price, I'd use it.

Interesting. Based on what I see, looks like FB now calling Champ Labs made ecore filters, Extra Guard. One shown using a nitrile adbv. I don't remember that name of the AAP "Fram" labeled filter that does the same, but there is one. "Force"?

Judging from accent, (aboot) seems to be happening in Canada? Add a silicone adbv to Champ Labs made and keep the EG price, I'd use it.
I forgot about those, the low end ones are called Drive and the Force is AAP exclusive equivalent to the ToughGaurd and is completely covered in grippy textured orange paint.

I forgot about those, the low end ones are called Drive and the Force is AAP exclusive equivalent to the ToughGaurd and is completely covered in grippy textured orange paint.
Yep Drive, that's it. Hard to keep up but I remember at least one AAP Champ Labs made Fram labeled filter.

Compare topic to the equivalent Drive 7317 Duck Ryder cut open.* Looks very similar to me. If the price right, I'd consider the one with nitrile adbv for 3-5k mile conventional oci.

Last edited:
That is a very odd video. The paint gloss and tint are definitely not factory Fram orange. And for some strange reason, the reviewer NEVER shows the markings on the model in question. He turns the Fram filter around a dozen times and points out changes to the product but he never turns the filter in question around so that the painted markings can be seen.

This is either a fake filter made with a WalMart Supertech item or it's somebody's idea of a video joke. If it's counterfeit then it's not even a good fake. It's a $3 WalMart filter in a $6 Fram box. I'd counterfeit the Ultra or something with a bit more profit if I'm going to jeopardize my morals and character.
I agree that the video appears to be staged. Not only is the orange paint a different shade and the filter has no visible marking, the black textured grip paint is not coarse textured like the genuine Fram Extra Guard and the interface line between the black and orange paint is uneven/wavy as if someone did a poor tape job before spraying it with rattle can bedliner paint. I suspect the video is a hoax based upon the above clues and that it doesn't show all of the can before and during cutting it open.

Back