FRAM Extra Guard 3614 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Thanks for sharing, IMHO that looked really good. In the third picture is there some tearing, or is it just the way the light is hitting it?

Looks like it could be start of a tear to be honest

Should dry it out and take a closer look.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Car51 - Do you know what the temperature conditions, driving conditions, state of engine tune and length of service were? Was the bypass functional? It seems there must be more to explain why the extra guard was nearly defeated.

I hope the Tough Guard has enough margin for the next round.

Thanks for the c&p.

Car runs well, does delivery service and 40% highway. Every now and then a Orange can gets critized
smile.gif

Oh well
I use the Extra Guards occasionally, but I try not to use them for more than 3-5K, although my brother has pushed his to 9K on his Altima 2.5 (all highway driving with full synthetic) without killing one (PH7317).

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Thanks for sharing, IMHO that looked really good. In the third picture is there some tearing, or is it just the way the light is hitting it?

Looks like it could be start of a tear to be honest

Not Fram too!
33.gif

When it comes to entry-level oil filters, it seems the second-world countries are making some better filters than the U.S.

Didn't realize Fram is communist manufacturers.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Car51 - Do you know what the temperature conditions, driving conditions, state of engine tune and length of service were? Was the bypass functional? It seems there must be more to explain why the extra guard was nearly defeated.

I hope the Tough Guard has enough margin for the next round.

Thanks for the c&p.

Car runs well, does delivery service and 40% highway. Every now and then a Orange can gets critized
smile.gif

Oh well
I use the Extra Guards occasionally, but I try not to use them for more than 3-5K, although my brother has pushed his to 9K on his Altima 2.5 (all highway driving with full synthetic) without killing one (PH7317).

At the end of the day, the filter did complete the mission. Battle scars and all.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I wouldn't put one of those on a vehicle worth more than 500 bucks.

Why not?

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I wouldn't put one of those on a vehicle worth more than 500 bucks.

Why not?

He only likes to use filters with holes in them.

Looks like the Extra Guards are hit and miss. A lot depends on the engine size and driver's foot since the pleats are so fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back