FRAM Extra Guard 3614 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon and Happy Fathers a Day to all fathers here at BITOG
smile.gif

This FRAM Extra Guard filter was off a friends older Ford Focus 4dr SE sedan. Think it's a 2010 if I recall correct. Oil was smittys Super S 5w20 he supplied. Put in Maxlife blend 5w20 and a Tough Guard 3614. Oil and filter had 5,455 miles on it also

Thanks for sharing, IMHO that looked really good. In the third picture is there some tearing, or is it just the way the light is hitting it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Thanks for sharing, IMHO that looked really good. In the third picture is there some tearing, or is it just the way the light is hitting it?

Looks like it could be start of a tear to be honest

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you found the limit of how many miles a PH3614 is good for-can't help thinking you would have had a tear with 5W30 in winter conditions. The TG will be better! Nice photos, though, you're putting a lot of good filter information out!

Originally Posted By: car51

Not Fram too!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks like you found the limit of how many miles a PH3614 is good for-can't help thinking you would have had a tear with 5W30 in winter conditions. The TG will be better! Nice photos, though, you're putting a lot of good filter information out!

Thanks Bullwinkle and slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Thinking of trying 5w20 in my 09' Camry

What do you think Bullwinkle?

Originally Posted By: tig1
For a Focus I would have preferred a MC FL910.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jongies3

Not Fram too!
33.gif

When it comes to entry-level oil filters, it seems the second-world countries are making some better filters than the U.S.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

When it comes to entry-level oil filters, it seems the second-world countries are making some better filters than the U.S.

Not sure I'd classify South Korea as "second-world"... but I've been very happy with the filters they produce.

Car51 - Do you know what the temperature conditions, driving conditions, state of engine tune and length of service were? Was the bypass functional? It seems there must be more to explain why the extra guard was nearly defeated.

I hope the Tough Guard has enough margin for the next round.

Thanks for the c&p.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: jongies3

Not Fram too!
33.gif

I agree...I can't understand why a $2 Ecoguard oil filter that is made in China can have perfectly even pleat spacing while a Purolator, Fram and even Wix often have wavy, uneven pleats....???

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Thanks Bullwinkle and slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Thinking of trying 5w20 in my 09' Camry

What do you think Bullwinkle?
Believe it's back-spec'ed for it, I've been using 5W20 in my Mom's '06 Matrix (which originally had 5W30) with good results, since she almost never drives on the interstate any more. I've had good results with Magnatec 5W20 in the Grand Marquis, has quieted down the startup chain rattle a lot.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Tough Guard filter media is VERY different than Extra Guard.
I ran one to 15,000 and the paper was NOT easy to tear.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I wouldn't put one of those on a vehicle worth more than 500 bucks.

Me either!

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Car51 - Do you know what the temperature conditions, driving conditions, state of engine tune and length of service were? Was the bypass functional? It seems there must be more to explain why the extra guard was nearly defeated.

Thanks for the c&p.

Car runs well, does delivery service and 40% highway. Every now and then a Orange can gets critized
smile.gif

Oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back