FRAM Extended Guard Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, NEVER been a Fram guy, but I saw these new "10,000 mile" filters Fram has out called Extended Guard. It has a steel mesh screen surrounded by semi-synthetic media. They are $7.97 compared to Mobil 1 ($12.97) and Amsoil ($16.87). Anyone heard anything about these filters. Are they any good? I posted this here hoping it would get noticed sooner as opposed to the "oil filter" section.

Fram started making cheap filters to cash in on their name, and increase the bonus for the CEO. Now they have learned their lesson, and are back to making quality again. This extended guard filter is extremely well made - the reason Fram is doing this is
because they realize we pay a lot of money for our vehicles, we want them to last, and we're willing to pay a little extra for quality. The Extra Guard is a real quality filter.

I'll spend the extra money on a Pure One before I buy the Extra Guard filter.

Another vote for the Pure One or the Mobil 1 filter over anything Fram offers.

AD

The Extended Guard is a good filter. It's just a bit over priced. I wouldn't buy it at regular price, but a few months ago I found some old stock at Walmart for $2 each. I also take a Pureone over an Extended Guard. The Pureone has a higher efficiency media.

I've used the Extended Guard filter for years.
The '10,000 mile' is just a new marketing slogan.
Most quality filters should be able to go 10K.
I watch for sales and stock a few ahead.

I've used them, without problems. They had deals in the papers for PP and a Extended Guard filter a while back $24.99 IIRC. I was all over it, the PP with the Pure One filter or Mobil 1 filters was even a better deal.

AD

10k on a FRAM thats funny,no way here,ill stick with my FG and UPF's for looooong drains like i've been..

the price fram wants for that filter i get my UPF's about $1 more from my GM dealer and it's 5x the filter.

Well, it may be the "Extra Guard" that I am talking about. It is the only one out of three that has the steel mesh construction and synthetic media. I would never consider Fram either, but if it readily available at Wal-mart along with Delvac 15w-40, than it would easy to get when I need it. and less money than the Mobile 1. I mean really, my question is this. Does the Mobil 1 filter provide $5 more of protection for being $5 more than the Fram or Pure One? Again, I have hated Fram forever, but scoobie may be right in that Fram has gotten with the program. I'll see what specs I can find and get back to you guys. Thanks for any input.

And Dave or Ark, whenever you want to chime in, please do.

Originally Posted By: daman
10k on a FRAM thats funny,no way here,ill stick with my FG and UPF's for looooong drains like i've been..

the price fram wants for that filter i get my UPF's about $1 more from my GM dealer and it's 5x the filter.

What does "FG" and "UPF" stand for?

Just checked the website and to verify, it is the Extended Guard that I am wondering about. Still looking for specs. Maybe I'll just buy one and cut it open. Then I will be everyone else's test dummy.......hmmmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking somewhere on this site is an Extended Guard filter cut open.

AD

Use a filter that you trust 100% you may not get a second chance to figure out who MAY have got with the "program"
There are some good filters out there at reasonable prices i like motorcraft for my fords and pure ones for my others but there are a few others i would use also..
Up until about a year ago i had cut open some new oil filters and mounted them on a "display" in my shop to show customers about filters i dont have it anymore because everyone was touching it and it got dirty and old looking but there was a big differance in quality in some of them also some of them the pleates were so close together that i wondered how oil made it through. Other ones the pleates were so far apart and were not secured in some spots..

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
What does "FG" and "UPF" stand for?

in short....

UPF=AC delco oil filter with a full synthetic media
FG=Fleed guard oil filters with full synthetic media called stratipore(sp?)

both are just like the amsoil EaO filters,very very good,capable
of 10k easily.

to be honest tho if somone held a gun to my head and said chose or die i'd have to go with the ExtendedGuard.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I'm thinking somewhere on this site is an Extended Guard filter cut open.

AD

I started this thread a couple months ago in the oil filter section, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...666#Post1376666

Thanks for the thread and the info. I put one on my Dmax today and plan on using for 5k miles and then cutting it open to see what I have. After that, if all is good, I will continue to use it for the rest of the life of my truck. $8 from Wal-Mart can't be beat with all of the other good filters (Mobil 1, Baldwin, Amsoil) being priced at $12-$20. I am pretty stoked if they are decent. No more internet ordering and searching all over to get a decent filter. Pep Boys doesn't even carry the Mobil 1 or Pure One filter for my truck!!Go figure.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I posted this here hoping it would get noticed sooner as opposed to the "oil filter" section.

This IS the Oil Filter section...
54.gif

BTW - Nothing wrong with Fram XG, or TG, for that matter. We use tons of 'em on the company vehicles here with no problems....
27.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST

This IS the Oil Filter section...
54.gif

True, but it was probably posted in the main oil section originally and one of us mods moved it to here where it belongs.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
Fram started making cheap filters to cash in on their name, and increase the bonus for the CEO. Now they have learned their lesson, and are back to making quality again. This extended guard filter is extremely well made - the reason Fram is doing this is
because they realize we pay a lot of money for our vehicles, we want them to last, and we're willing to pay a little extra for quality. The Extra Guard is a real quality filter.

"and increase the bonus for the CEO".Brother,I could not have said it any better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back