fram dissection

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i had to see for myself. i just took apart a fram ph extra guard filter. cardboard ends glued on the filter media.and a cheap looking bypass valve.not many pores either.now i see what the fuss is about.

[ February 28, 2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: moontan ]

I'm a fleet mechanic for the police. We use fram ph2 filters and the cheapist oil at the time we buy it. We have almost no enigne problems and with 5,000 vehicles I've never seen a filter bulge or leak unless it was no put on tight.

That's a tad different from what I've heard. I know of people who work in oil change places that exclusively use fram or fram built filters. People would come in a fair amount with filter problems.

regardless, i am becoming a cynic real fast. with both the pros & cons of fram,pennzoil ,whatever..

I had problems with a couple of FRAM oil filters on two different cars before the oil filter study came out. I had gone to different filters even before the study came out.

When I did see the results of the oil filter study I was shocked at the internal appearance of FRAM oil filters. Now, I am not an oil filter expert-maybe FRAM makes the best oil filters in the world for all I know. But the appearance of the filtering media in those FRAm oil filters, the plastic valves, the cardboard endcaps, the few openings in the metal tube, etc., really turned me off. I felt that the WIX oil filters and Fleetguard oil filters looked much better inside. The Fleetguard oil filter internals I didn't see until much later after that oil filter study.

quote:

I'm a fleet mechanic for the police. We use fram ph2 filters and the cheapist oil at the time we buy it.

maybe your police dept. can save some money by "downgrading" to supertech oil filters.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Thumper_sr5:
I'm a fleet mechanic for the police. We use fram ph2 filters and the cheapist oil at the time we buy it. We have almost no enigne problems and with 5,000 vehicles I've never seen a filter bulge or leak unless it was no put on tight.

Thumper,

You're right.

You will rarely see or hear of any actual Fram filter failures, given use on a "regular" engine and on "regular" change intervals.

The facts remain though...Why purchase a Fram when you can buy a much better filter for the same or less money??

i just changed the oil in my step fathers f150 last night. the auto parts store was out of purolators and motorcraft for his application, so i had to buy a fram filter.

fram may not be the best filter, it may not even be very good, but it is definitly good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back