FRAM COR4967 - 13,239 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251

Not the case it's the oil not being changed regularly.

At this point, no one can say what caused, or did not cause the issues seen in the information posted by the OP, and state it as a fact.

Either way the engine is damage

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Imagine if that was cardboard end cap instead metal end cap.
15.gif

Guess you missed this thread ... C&P - TG9688 with 21K miles. It held up fine, just a little wavy pleats.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...99/c-p-tg9688-with-21k-miles#Post5300999

15.gif

Guess you missed this thread ... C&P - TG9688 with 21K miles. It held up fine, just a little wavy pleats.

Sludge monster engine with [censored] poor maintenance.

Short trips, moisture soaked oil at times. Likely maybe at best 5w30 cheapest semi-syn 5-8K oil.

Let's remember oil and filter ratings are for easy life in well maintained and problem free engines and trips are long enough to heat the oil and not excessive idling.

That filter and oil were probably good for 7K miles. I wonder if it was on there for over a year or two, as well.

Owner abused that filter to the point of failure and likely would have killed many filters from the other makers.

Last edited:
Looks pretty awful to me. I would not have taken any oil that far in that vintage!

OP, is this a car that came through your shop, or is it yours now?

I'm trying to determine if damage was done--is that bubbles on the bottom of the can? or shiny things? It looks like a chunk of something in the filter. But maybe that's a part of the filter... IMO if that was bubbles and just the way the filter was made, a couple of short OCI's and all would be fine.

Originally Posted by supton
It looks like a chunk of something in the filter. But maybe that's a part of the filter.

It's torn media, and you're seeing the metal center tube. Another victim of high delta-p on flattened media.

This filter is from a car that was short-tripped a lot.

Those aren't highway miles, I can guarantee you.

How long does Fram state the service life/miles that filter is good for? I seriously doubt it is anywhere near the 13K+ miles it was used for.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
At this point, no one can say what caused, or did not cause the issues seen in the information posted the OP, and state it as a fact.
I can't say for certain what caused it, but I can confidently name any number of irrelevant factors that did not cause it.

It looks like a chunk of something in the filter. But maybe that's a part of the filter.

It's torn media, and you're seeing the metal center tube. Another victim of high delta-p on flattened media.

Thanks.

I have a couple of these Core Fram 6607's I grabbed at a Walmart while on vacation because they were $1.99. I'm actually getting ready to use one on my Mazda 3. I'll probably use some of my cheaper stash oil and only go 5K miles. BTW mine has an orange/silicone ADBV

[Linked Image]

Hold while I conduct an RCA investigation. Done.
Conclusion: Used it too much when it was new 👀

Looks pretty awful to me. I would not have taken any oil that far in that vintage!

OP, is this a car that came through your shop, or is it yours now?

I'm trying to determine if damage was done--is that bubbles on the bottom of the can? or shiny things? It looks like a chunk of something in the filter. But maybe that's a part of the filter... IMO if that was bubbles and just the way the filter was made, a couple of short OCI's and all would be fine.

Customer's car. I think that's just metal pieces from cutting open the can with a hand saw.

Originally Posted by walterjay
OMG! And I would like to know what kind of oil was in the car and if it was ever topped off.

Pennzoil 10w30HM with at least two or three quarts of Chevron Supreme for top off that I personally put in there.

I refilled with 1 or 2 quarts of Delo 15w40 and the rest Chevron 5w30.

15.gif

So much for continual knocking of fiber end caps. Shows metal ones aren't really necessary, just a feel good item that drives the costs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back