FRAM COR4967 - 13,239 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came off a 95 Camry with 243118 miles. Absolute failure. ADBV super tough. All parts were heavily varnished as seen.

8A98F8CB-662F-4EF4-BDE6-6314DCA9605A.jpeg

BF6EAF1E-F11A-4F3F-AAAF-040FE938BAF3.jpeg

A09091DB-D2D7-4AFA-A538-04570C81A0E0.jpeg

A8824B06-9F9D-446D-B059-80A3F217DB63.jpeg

9A31AA50-7CB6-4C27-BEF8-15384759B5D2.jpeg

B01C7696-5BB3-4AF1-B467-E354362EEE05.jpeg

200BCCA3-BEE2-463C-975A-62264FD10A94.jpeg

Last edited:
Jeezus...

That oil filter was beaten and abused. God I feel bad for that car, the lack of maintenance was hopefully only a one off.

Or the top of that engine is a sludge factory...

Last edited:
OMG! And I would like to know what kind of oil was in the car and if it was ever topped off.

13,000+ miles on a 5000 mile filter on a vehicle with 200,000+ mile on it, not surprised to see it looks like it does, but would hope it held together better than it did.

Wonder what the internals look like?

As a Fram hater, I must admit the only failure here was going 13K on a 230-240K 25 year old vehicle that is a known sludge monster with a 5K max filter. I don't even think M1AP would've been up to the task.

What were you/they thinking?

At 13,239 miles, this is expected behavior in my opinion. I would not run any cellulose based filter that far.

I will speculate that the oil looks bad because the engine has gone many miles with the equivalent of no filter.

The filter has no usual Fram construction, looks like Champ made. A filter has to be designed to bypass or the engine bypasses, and whatever the media has to take, it has to take without failure. If the media can only take so much, no matter the miles, then it is good to see which ones can't take it.
Or is this made in China?
Actually the oil looks about right for 13k does it not? Doesn't look that unusual on the fingers there.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
At 13,239 miles, this is expected behavior in my opinion. I would not run any cellulose based filter that far. ...
Using a cellulose-based filter that far does not cause that ugly condition. Not changing the oil in that distance might, in some conditions, depending on the choice of oil, etc. I've used cellulose-based filters considerably farther, and they came out looking fine.

One more note, cellulose filters apparently are stronger than synthetic all being equal. Synthetics need a mesh to strengthen them, most if not all. The mesh isn't there to waste money. Everything synthetic isn't automatically superior in every way.

Originally Posted by CR94
Using a cellulose-based filter that far does not cause that ugly condition.

At this point, no one can say what caused, or did not cause the issues seen in the information posted the OP, and state it as a fact.

Had to look at this one awhile and puzzle over the construction at first. This must be a "Core" filter from the days when Champ and Fram had their alliance. I believe the "core" name derived from many of the filters at that point being "ecores." Before them the TLE used the Fram "Pro" series iirc, with orange can construction. This being the smallest filter it's not an ecore. I would imagine, the current ST4967 same construction. So though Fram on can, actually Champ Labs construction.

With that out of the way, on to filter. The filter run well beyond it's intended use fci. I'm not aware of 95 Camry oci recommendation, but beyond that I suspect as well. Like most these jobber tier filters, though perhaps 'should be' capable of a vehicle recommended oci, imo these filters ~5k mile fci filters. This one run even more than two other recent jobber tier anecdotes with media tear results.

Bottom line, I don't blame the filter here. Want to run 13k miles, use a filter (and oil) intended and designed for that oci/fci. I too would think a look at the valvetrain would be interesting.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
At 13,239 miles, this is expected behavior in my opinion. I would not run any cellulose based filter that far.

I will speculate that the oil looks bad because the engine has gone many miles with the equivalent of no filter.

Not the case it's the oil not being changed regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back