Fram camout with their CAI System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I keep seeing the commercial where the guy puts it on his truck. I guess they figured bad oil filtration wasnt enough.

It's interesting that they are using a NON-OILED air filter. Makes you think, if AEM has changed to non-oiled filter, and now FRAM's new intake uses a non-oiled filter...maybe oiled filters aren't so good after all?

Personally, if I had to choose an intake I'd go with the AEM because of their new DRYFLOW filters. Logically, it just makes more sense to me. Too many "what-if's..." with oiled filters.

It was rumoured that oiled filters deposit oil on O2 sensors and causes inaccurate readings, resulting in various problems.

I myself for one, had problems with oiled filter years ago when I dropped a KN filter into the airbox of my Jetta. The dealership then blames everything on the filter.... Yup, the filter triggers misinformed dealership technicians. But ofcourse I tried switching back to the normal filters just to make sure that it REALLY wasn't the K&N.

Getting back on track, yeah, I have heard of some nasty stuff about oiled filters. Not to mention, their filteration ability isn't as good as the paper filters.

It wasnt O2 sensors, it was MAF sensors. GMs in particular do poorly with dirty MAFs.

The link doesn't work. I'm not a big fan of Open cone intakes, especially when they falsely bill it as a "cold-air" intake.

The K&N ones are a joke for what you get.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
It wasnt O2 sensors, it was MAF sensors. GMs in particular do poorly with dirty MAFs.

Quoted for truth.

I wonder how well they filter?

the new dry-flow filter that filters 1 micron is supplied and made by honeywell...so the aem intake and the fram boost is the same thing..aem supplied fram with the intake piping and fram/honeywell supplied aem with the dryflow filter.

Can you spray the GM MAS with contact cleaner or alcohol if you suspect oil on it, or will that do damage to the sensor?

Can you spray the GM MAS with contact cleaner or alcohol if you suspect oil on it, or will that do damage to the sensor?

If your vehicle gets 25mpg at $3.00/gal and the unit costs $250 and you install it and get a 5% increase in mileage to 26.25 mpg it looks like you're break even at a little over 40k miles if the elements cost the same. If you don't get that 5% and really get 2.5% then it could be up to 80k miles, yiiikes.

I am really impressed that the fram web site posts a dyno chart from a test with each application. It shows the hp curve before and after the installation of the Fram Boost air filter system. Yes, I know you cant totally rely on their dyno charts, but it is much better data then you ussually get.

quote:

Originally posted by JetSnake:

Spraying the wire element in the MAF with a contact cleaner made for electronic equipment is the best way to clean it. Sprayed alcohol should work also. Then let it air dry. Do not rub the wire with anything to clean it or dry it. Its very fragile and could break.

It seems to me that AEM makes the Fram Boost.

I know that AFE makes the filters for Fram AirHogs as well as the TRD oiled cotton filters.

The Fram ToughGuard series are oiled paper.

So Frams sells the following:
oiled paper (ToughGuard)
oiled cotton (AirHog)
non-oiled paper (Extra Life)
non-oiled synthetic-cotton (i.e. polyester Fram Boost)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back