Fram CA9969 Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Removed this filter from my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. I really cannot remember how many miles are on this filter but if I'd had to guess I would say 30000 miles. Looked ok to me. I noted when I installed the new AC Delco so I would remember next time.
Clean side:
2vlmn9s.jpg

Dirty side:
1zlak34.jpg

I probably overdo it, but I change mine out when they look like that.. also clean out the airbox.. it likely keeps out more dirt leaving it like this.. but I am a bit compulsive with keeping stuff looking clean, likely to a fault.

I'm into my 4th year with a wix air filter.
in December I'll pull it out & see if I should replace it or not.
Gas mileage hasn't been sacrificed, the engine purrs, oil stays clean (thanks to PPU oil).
I might replace it just because I'm not out to set an air filter longevity record!

I'm going to be removing my k&n from my Ranger pickup since 1997.
After reading from Wix's training tutorials, once a paper filter gets "coked", it will flow as much air as a k&n style filter.
AND it'll trap the dirt that the k&n lets thru. So maybe 300 miles and the paper filter in theory flow a good amount of air.
I'm ok with it.. tired of seeing my fresh oil get dirty in 500 miles.

How do you clean out your air box? I worry about dislodging anything to the clean side of the intake. A good shop vac of the debri on the dirty side isn't a bad idea, but i would do it with the filter still installed if it can remain between the clean/dirty side; not all intakes are designed this way.

Again, a air filter restriction gauge will tell you when the air filter is dirty and needs to be changed because of high restriction. I've seen filters that looked like they took a mud bath that flowed well and a couple that looked very clean that had high restriction(fine dust).

I don't take chances with my air filters, I use restriction gauges to tell me when its time to change them. If you change them to soon like every 3000 miles and you don't know if its really dirty(high restriction) you could be letting in more dirt and that's not good for any engine.

ROD

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Annual air filter changes for me, no sweat and no gauges
thumbsup2.gif

and increased engine wear.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Annual air filter changes for me, no sweat and no gauges
thumbsup2.gif

and increased engine wear.

Surely you Jest!
grin2.gif