Fram, ATF filter-good filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered one from Rockauto for my '05 Explorer.
Going with Amsoil trans fluid in the trans and transfer case.
Amsoil Severe Gear oil in the Front and back diffs.
Want to go completely synthetic,not the Mercon V blend.

The Fram FT 1224 5R55W internal trans cartridge was $20.79.
The Wix 58841 was $14.43.
Big price difference and there wasn't any reference to the 5R55W internal trans cartridge with the Wix.
So I went with the Fram.
Fram oil filters suck but the air and fuel filters are good quality.
I'm hoping the trans filter is also.
Opinions?

[ January 20, 2006, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

My understanding is that all of FRAM's other filters are decent quality. Even their orange cans of doom aren't actually poor quality, it's just that there are better-constructed filters for the same money. (Indeed, there are better-constructed filters for LESS money...)

I've used Fram trans filters before, and they appeared to be of good quality. In fact, I have one in my Jeep now that was bought from Rock Auto.

Colt, when it comes in, confirm that it's a 'microfelt' design. That's the type that has true filter media inside, as opposed to the screen type that some vehicles have.

Will do.

Thanks,guys.
cheers.gif

Colt, my 2000 Explorer 5R55E uses a media filter design that actually filters the ATF, as opposed to the 'screen' types. I would assume your 5R55W would too. Take another look at it, maybe it has media too under the mesh, or maybe the design has been changed since Model Year 2000....?

If the Fram appears to be the same type as the old filter, I wouldn't worry.

i myself use Filter King filters from Advanced, they appear to be a pretty good filter, especially for a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back