FP60 or FP3000 in place of 2-cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know FP60 and FP3000 have great cleaning qualities.

My question for debate is - are FP60's lubrication qualities good enough for it to lubricate engine parts as well as a 2-cycle oil?

What about FP3000?

Let the debate begin.

I don't think they are designed to replace 2-cycle oil. I don't think this is something to debate. Make an inquiry to the producer of Fp60 and Fp3000, and they will probably be glad to inform you what qualities their product have.

If you are asking would it be a better fuel additive for a 4-stroke engine top end lube, I would say yes, use FP for the fuel of a 4-cycle engine and save the 2-cycle oil for the 2-smoke engines.

If you are asking whether FP could be used in place of 2-smoke oil in a 2-smoke engine, I would not do it

Thanks for the responses - good points but not exactly what I was getting at.

From a combustion chamber lubrication standpoint, if the average 2-cycle oil would provide lubrication effectiveness on a 0-10 scale of 10. how good would FP60, FP3000, and Lucas UCL be at lubrication of the combustion chambers (not fuel pumps and injectors as they do this very well)

2-cycle - 10
FP60 - ?
FP3000 - ?
Lucas UCL - ?

Quote:

I really don't think any of these 3 products were intended for this use at all.

Really? I thought that is what Upper Cylinder Lubricant (UCL) essentially means.

I may be wrong, but I thought all of these products (or at least two of them - FP3000 and Lucas) proclaim to be a UCL. I am just trying to get a sense for how well they do that.

I don't believe UCL's and 2-cycle are on the same playing ground. You could probably get SOME benefits out of using 2-cycle as a UCL, but what are the side effects of burning it in a 4-stroke. For example, what will happen to your O2's and cat's?

What is the purpose of this string?
Is the question whether or not FP60, 3000, or Lucas UCL can replace a two cycle motor oil, for a two cycle application?
Or is it whether or not I can minimize the two cycle oil, if I were to be adding one of the three forementioned products in combination? Or are we evaluating the use of a two cycle motor oil used in a 4 stroke motor?

Quote:

Or are we evaluating the use of a two cycle motor oil used in a 4 stroke motor?

Yes, but let me explain.

What drove me to start this thread is that Rotary engines, although 4 stroke, inject oil for additional lubrication of the Apex and side seals. They actually inject 4-stroke oil from the sump (not the best choice, but what is done).

There have been a few engine failures that may be attributed to not enough oil injection (a ECU flash update was done to add more oil injection in 2006). Because of this, many are adding 2-cycle oil ("premix") into the fuel for additional lubrication and peace of mind. The downside to adding 2-cycle oil to the fuel is of course possible deposits and damage to the catalyst.

Thus my question - how much additional combustion chamber lubrication do all these UCL-type fuel cleaner additives (FP60, FP3000, Lucas UCL, Redline SI-1, etc) really provide relative to a 2-cycle oil? Enough to add quite a bit of additional lubrication for the Apex and Side seals without the need for 2-cycle oil? They could be the best of both worlds - adding more desired lubrication, keeping the engine clean, and not creating deposits/killing the catalyst - if they provide enough lubrication or lubrication similar to 2-cycle oil.

I thought ranking each on a scale of 0-10 in lubrication capabilities verus 2-cycle being rated at 10 might provide some relative information that could be used to determine what "adds" to use and how much.

What do you think?

Quote:

So you want to know how well FP60 or 3000 would lubricate apex seals?

Essentially, Yes.

Realize that some oil is already being injected for lubrication - trying to get a feel for how much more lubrication may be coming from my FP60 use? Significant, Some, Little, None?

I don't even see FP3000 on lube controls web site.
My Gal of FP60 is almost empty.

Their board is a joke. LCD hardly ever replies anymore.
Fixing just to stick with Schaeffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back