FP60 ineffective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I purchased my car in 2005, I have always used FP60. The vehicle in question is a 52k mile 2006 Audi A3 with the 2.0t FSI engine. FP60 was used religiously, only skipping every other tank when it wasn't handy, but overall the vehicle stuck with the cleaning regimen as specified by LC. Occasional shock doses were used.

That being said, with my current driving habits and commute, I am only able to get about 22mpg.

About a month ago, I took advantage of the Gumout Regane promotion and emptied a bottle into the fuel tank. After that tank was run through, I filled up with only gasoline (no FP60). Five tanks later, my average mpg is 24.3. This is also in noticably hotter weather (100F vs 80-90F) with more use of the A/C. A highway trip (not counted in the average) also resulted in 32mpg whereas the same trip would usually result in 27-28mpg.

I've added in FP60 on my last two tanks and have noticed no decrease in MPG.

Am I crazy to think that FP60 did no noticeable cleaning and did nothing to keep the fuel system clean?

Dave

FP60, IMO is a fuel system lubricant first and foremost. Regane, on the other hand, will show accelerated wear of soft bearing metals and similar negative things.

I could say the reverse of your comments, but with respect to regane. You need to keep in mind that youre running a deposit and oil degradation-prone engine. FP60 may not be the right cleaner for the junk produced in your engine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
FP60, IMO is a fuel system lubricant first and foremost. Regane, on the other hand, will show accelerated wear of soft bearing metals and similar negative things.

I could say the reverse of your comments, but with respect to regane. You need to keep in mind that youre running a deposit and oil degradation-prone engine. FP60 may not be the right cleaner for the junk produced in your engine.

+1

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am also running water/meth injection, deposits were cleaned at 39k and I have a PCV blockoff reducing the amount of contaminants getting into the system.

Dave

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If the PCV is blocked off, where does the blow-by go?

I should have been more specific. There is still a PCV on the system, but the one which is believed to create the significant intake valve deposits is blocked off and re-routed to a different area.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back