FP-60 and Ethanol Fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I store my Corvette over the winter to keep the salt off the car. Last year, I used FP-60 to keep the fuel fresh. With the legislation that recently passed, all of our fuels now have 10% ethanol. Living in a coastal state, with a lot of marina's, I am seeing recommendations for the boaters to drain all their fuel rather than top off the tanks because of the ethanol. I had planned on using the FP-60 again and topping off the tank, but now I am not sure. Does anyone have any good technical information on the best approach to fuel storage when it has 10% ehtanol?

You have a plastic gas tank and FP60 will still keep the fuel fresh. You don't need to worry about fuel problems when winterizing the vette if you store it with a full tank of gas and FP.

Add some STABIL to your fuel, in addition to the FP60.
It's proven commodity.
Methanol is bad, but I'm not sure that ethanol [10%] would be harmful.

I too live in the coastal region, just on the west coast. I use FP-60 in my boat to store it in the winter months but have heard bad things about ethanol and eating through the plastic gas tanks. I know FP-60 will keep the fuel fresh, its the ethanol I am worried about

No no, the ethanol will not harm the plastic gas tank. You should be more worried about metal corrosion with EtOH in fuel than plastic problems. Ethanol in 10% concentration will not harm anything.

Heck, 10% EtoH is what's found in most beer
smile.gif
Never harmed me!

Thanks for all the replys. There is a ton of mis-information out there and I think even the local newspapers are providing bad information. I know Getty has run ethanol for quite some time. The recent article on the New York Times about the ethanol and boat storage is the one that really got me nervous though.

Ethanol will not harm most plastics. It's actually quite benign compared to gasoline. Try this sometime...Take two styrofoam cups, fill one with Everclear (closest thing to pure ethanol one can buy), the other with gasoline, then in a day tell me what happens.

If you can't find Everclear, denatured alcohol from the paint or hardware store will work too. You just can't have a party with denatured alcohol!
smile.gif

BTW, denatured alcohol is the best thing to clean off the wax buildup from automatic carwashes that gets on your windshield. If you have chattering wiper blades, a thourough cleaning with denatured alcohol and a paper towel will eliminate it, and make the glass squeaky clean again. A veteran auto glass installer told me about this trick, and it works like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back