Four-stroke engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just putting this out there out of curiosity to see how everyone learned the way a four-stroke engine works. Back when I was taught by an old man I learned a way to remember it that I will never forget. As we all know it is intake, compression, combustion/power, and exhaust. Now the way I was taught is suck, squeeze, bang, and blow
grin.gif
Now if that isn't easy to remember I don't know what is ha ha. Anyone else learn it this way?

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Nope and I prefer not to hear it being described as that either. Bugs me. Just my 2c.

a little sensitive are we. ha ha just kidding.

I was taught that if someone requires a funny phrase to remind them how an ICE works, do not let them touch your vehicle.

This thread should really be in humor too, because it offers no value in Auto Gen.

Sounds like engine school and sex education all rolled into one class.

Did not learn it that way. Honestly when I did learn about engines such a ditty would have gone over my head.

In college I didn't have to learn the resistor color codes, but I couldn't remember them until I heard the NSFW one.

Dad showed me how a four-stroke engine works with a disassembled Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine when I was in 2nd grade. He described the Intake, compression, power, and exhaust strokes in those terms. He didn't try to make it entertaining with suck-squeeze-bang-blow.

Honestly, I can't specifically remember a time when I didn't know how engines worked. I do remember my dad trying to muddy the waters by telling me about the Detroit Diesel two-stroke...

And when I learned how most two-stroke engines operate, it seemed very counter-productive to me.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I was taught that if someone requires a funny phrase to remind them how an ICE works, do not let them touch your vehicle.

This thread should really be in humor too, because it offers no value in Auto Gen.

You mean the way each and every one of your 3760 posts all have value? I did not and do not want it posted in the humor section, so if a mod (not you) feels it needs to be moved there then they can just delete the entire post instead.

Do you recall the phrase use by Mil training to recall resistor colour coding? These phrases are truly good memory cues and have been accepted by real professionals throughout many industries.

Note: There really is no such thing as "suction" though - just differential pressure. More of a perception issue for those who are ignorant of physics.

Now, describe the Atkinson cycle ... .

Last edited:
I don't know where I learned it, and I think at the time, I didn't know the sexual innuendo involved, so for some reason, I don't see it as being dirty. Although, I know it as suck, squish, bang, blow.

I think my dad drew me pictures of the four-stroke when I was 4-5 years old. I later read through the shop manual about 20 gazillion times for the 1957 bel air we had parked outside. That manual was a single volume and not only discussed teardown and assembly, but also theory of operation and how to use test tools like plastigage and the like--- it was an entire course in itself.

I too felt cheated when dad showed me a 2-stroke!

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton

You mean the way each and every one of your 3760 posts all have value? I did not and do not want it posted in the humor section, so if a mod (not you) feels it needs to be moved there then they can just delete the entire post instead.

Yes, "Suck,Squeeze,Bang,Blow... that's the way it/she has to go." Has helped many a person remember with this "mnemonic device"....
Yes, it can be dirty if taken that way.... BUT, depending on with whom/when it's shared and in what context, I think we will all live if we are "adults" here...so "don't get your panties in a wad"....

Oops !! Another colloquial saying people use sometimes...!

Relax... we have bigger fish to fry....!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back