Fountain of Youth Finally Discovered by Scientists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can smell right threw the B$

29.gif

"they found that participants had lost an average of 2.5 years on their "epigenetic clock," "

that means they got 2.5 years less life
33.gif

would have they GAINED 2.5year extra?/ not lose it?

With a study involving just 6 participants I think it's gonna be a while........ Then again some of sciences biggest discoveries happened by accident so who knows. I'd far rather have them spending things like this than things like transgender issues and the like.

Article says no control group, weak. Not sure how you can test a hypothesis without a control, even the 7th graders at the local science fair competition know that.

As I understand it, each time the cells in your body split into two, the DNA in each new section is a pretty darn good (but not exact) copy of the set of DNA prior to it. As the years go by, the cells and DNA gradually change because they are not exact copies of what they once were. -And the continuing process of those diminishing copies give rise to the signs of ageing. There are markers that can be measured to determine how well the copies are being made. Those markers determine the condition of your epigenetic clock.

Setting that clock back means that your cells and DNA are able to replicate and make very good copies of the previous ones.

As far as this study is concerned... Very cool... but, it's just a one-off observation that needs to be clinically and critically analyzed. If it is the magic bullet they want it to be then, our bodies will be able to stay young looking but, unless therapies are found for Alzheimers, diabetes, heart disease etc, you'll probably just have a young looking body that has other advanced medical ailments. I think this would be akin to a disease called progeria Basically ...All dressed up -but about to die anyhow.

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Article says no control group, weak. Not sure how you can test a hypothesis without a control, even the 7th graders at the local science fair competition know that.

Isn't the control group the general population? Granted, there's no group taking a placebo.

I'm not going to read too much into it, but it is somewhat interesting. A group of people who wouldn't normally be given a growth hormone nor diabetes pills take them, and appear to be better off for it. Seems to me that this is where a proper study can take place with a larger group of individuals, along with proper controls.

One thing I didn't see was the time spent on this trial--how is it known that this is not a short term trend that could be easily reversed, either with discontinuation of the pills or even with the continued taken thereof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back