Found this after a service from BMW.. Very upset..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. BMW are being real thorns in the backside. They are telling us to drive the car down to them which is 400km away. Seems logical to cause some more engine damage eh? The lifters are already collapsing at idle.

JAG these deposits were never there before. I distinctly remember pulling the cap about 1 week before I took it in for serivce. Was quite clean with no deposits at all.

I'm not going to bother asking BMW about the coolant, as its not really the main issue. The coolant level is fine, its used absolutely none in the past week and also there is no white steam or any other signs of head gasket failure. A compression test and coolant pressure test came out OK too. Can't be condensation, not from 1 week of driving! And we've lived out here in the same weather for the past 3 years with no problem. Thermostat is OK. Warms up in about 3 minutes.

Sending off the UOA today.

Alright I reckon I got some good news. The mechanic took a look at it again and strongly suggested it might just be a severe condensation issue (strangely enough). I pulled the PCV and there was plenty of condensation coming out. Just seems extremely coincidental this kind of white sludge has built up in the course of 1 week.

Anyways I've wiped the cap clean and I'm gonna see if the stuff appears again. BMW don't wanna look at it they said. So I just took it for an gentle hour long drive to boil out all the condensation and the motor seems to be running OK so far and the valve train is quiet again. The white deposits have changed to brown on the insides of the cam cover so I would assume some has 'boiled' out.

This weekend I'll be pulling off the cam cover for an inspection/clean so if anyones interested in some pics, I'll post them up. I'll also be draining out that TXT Softec junk for Mobil 0W40. I guess I'll be Auto-RXing this car pretty soon.

Thanks again for everyones input, I appreciate it.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
That is condensation by the looks of it.

For the win!!!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Replace your PCV valve ASAP and maybe install a pcv catchcan.

quote:

In the US, BMW coolant is very blue and the VW/Audi coolant is pink.

VW/Audi coolant color:

G11 is blue-green (circa pre-'97 models), still in use
G12 is light red or pinkish (circa '97 models and up), non-compatible with G11, still in use
G12 Plus is purple (in use for at least the last two years), currently latest formula is compatible with G11 and G12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back