Found this after a service from BMW.. Very upset..

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
Jim 5 is absolutely correct about BMW's coolant. It is Glysantin G-48, a specific formulation not related to G-05 or any other version of the BASF patented chemistries. BASF identifies the G-48 as blue/green in color and is a four year fluid as specified in BMW's service manuals.

To my eyes it does not share a hint of green color.

Normally, a blue-green color means that the main color is green, but not blue. And this is what I could see using Original BMW coolant sold through BMW network in Europe. However, I would not pay a lot of attention to the color because it may depend on a supplier. VW coolant is more blue than green. That's why, I would define it as green-blue. BTW, Castrol NF is closer to BMW, i.e. green with a blue shaddow.

Hi guys. I took a good look at the coolant. Its green, green as any other traditional non OAT type coolant you'd see on the shelves. No blue tinge, no nothing. Just clover leaf green. I'll take a picture of it when I can.

The car is at a local mechanic. BMW demanded that we get the car looked over before we send it to them. Ignorant bas1ards don't want anything to do with it it seems. Fingers crossed the mechanic won't find anything. He also suspects its a flush gone wrong. (Stupid oil flushes shouldnt be used in the first place!). He's also going to take a sample of the oil so I gave him a specimen bottle to store it in. Will do a UOA when I can.

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it!

A head gasket can let go regardless of mileage.

I'm not at all familiar with BMW heads or head gaskets, but I thought a head gasket failure would let water into the combustion chambers where it would burn out (steam out the exhaust), or hydrolock the engine if enough coolant is getting in.

I thought you had to have a cracked head or block to get coolant into the oil sump.

Depending where it goes, a head gasket can let coolant into the combustion chamber, or oil into the coolant, or both.

I'd get two samples - send in one on your own for a UOA, and keep the second one handy in case BMW wants to do their own test or you have to take them to court - it would be good to have an untested sample still.

Hey guys just a small update on the car.

The mechanic couldnt find any signs of a blown headgasket after extensive testing. Plus, the coolant is still above the 'Max' line too. Also he said he used a borescope/torch to take a look at the insides of the cam cover and he said it was filthy as.

Here's a pic of the coolant I extracted as well as the pic of the car in question.

Obviously green. Should I question BMW about it?
 -

-

BMW aren't returning our calls nor have they responded to the mechanic's report. Seems they're trying to dodge us. Guess we'll be ringing the lawyer very soon unforuntealy.

In the U.S., the lawyer would probably be able to get you a new engine, and his fees from the stealership. I don't know if your liability/legal system has been dumbed down too much to be able to do that in .au as well. There are forces here in the U.S. trying to make it so the little guy never has a chance(called "tort reform").

definitely not the right color for the coolant chemistry that should have been used in the BMW.
JMH

I checked with Castrol EU specs. Its coolant is green. But even if to accept that it was initially green, its actual color does not look good: usually such color has blue-green coolants after about 1,5-2 year use.

A UOA can help determine coolant in the oil and the extent of the problem and be your evidence. If the upper end metals are high eg copper and iron and the lead is not as high - that is signature of a head gasket leak and since they changed coolant I'd quess they left an air pocket from improper bleeding that lead to overheating and head gasket failure. If the copper and iron are just a little worse but the lead is high - that is more evidence of a fill error of coolant in the oil. That still seems like a hard one to occur but the dealer may have both fluids on hoses.

Leo,

I bet your original guess is correct. The monkey's put the coolant flush liquid in the oil.

It is interesting that BMW told you to have it checked by an independant shop. You would think they would want to hide their mistakes themselves.

Sorry to hear that Leo.That is disgusting how
a stealership could return your car to you like
that.Was there any white smoke coming from the
exhaust?When coolant enters the combustion
chamber,it is expelled from the exhaust with an
unbelievable amount of white smoke.Didn't anyone
inside the shop notice the white cloud?Unfortunately your cams are scored by the lack
of lubrication regardless of how soft,long,or hard you drove the car once the coolant was
mistakenly poured into the wrong resevoir.I feel
for you,and hope you sue the ******** responsible
for this atrocity.I think if that were to have
happened to me,I would have had a coronary.Good luck Leo.

My brother's 99' BMW engine's fill cap and dipstick looked identical to this. Even down to the details of seeing red and yellow crap along with water drops. I figured it was sludge from his long oil change intervals on dino oil and the moisture was from it being a short-trip car.

So now I don't know if I was right in my diagnosis. Sludge or coolant leak into the oil? When was the last time you checked your oil fill cap? If it wasn't that long ago, that implies it's from coolant in the oil leak since regular sludge doesn't grow overnight.

I looked into my friend's 2002 330ci and the oil cap had varnish whiteish/red crap on it. The inside didn't look any better. I looked at your pictures and it looks very similar - red brownish varnish on dipstick and oil cap.

I attribute this to the 15,000 mile oci on a group III oil. His car only has like 30,000 miles on it too
tongue.gif
. I finally got him to let me change his oil sooner after his service warranty expired.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back