Found the cause of my misfire (Ford 5.4 2-valve plug go pop)

Helicoil and JB Weld?

Might as well take out the ad for the sale now.

Nothing short of a new head is going to fix a head that’s been repaired with epoxy, a helicoil, and a plug that “turn and turn and turn.”
If it works long enough to set the monitors and pass smog I can disconnect the fuel injector and have a perfectly good 7-cylinder truck. Either drive it that way or sell it. Lol.

If it were mine, I would look up a plug which had a bigger seat and the correct(ish) length. Then it would be able to seat on the head and be about the correct length into the combustion chamber.

Pulling the head would be my last effort. Some detective work with a set of calipers and the easiest cylinder to get to ( #1 or #5) and you can likely make this work.

The mod motors and spark plugs is asinine....buy at least they aren't down by the exhaust manifolds where they get splashed by the front tires....

Either get the head fixed properly or sell it to somebody that will, I doubt you'll be able to keep a plug in that head, that jerry rig is likely to eject as a unit in the near future.

i can't see the jb weld lasting through thermal cycles and cylinder pressure. It may for a while.
Yes. Personal anecdote:

When my Expedition's 5.4L launched #8, I was delighted to find that I could thread a new plug back into the hole and was able to torque it down, no problem. I was warned, think it might have been by @Trav that the threads were likely damaged and it would probably blow out again.

A few weeks later, with no sounds leading up to the event, unlike with the previous one, where it sounded like I had an exhaust leak, #8 dramatically exited the cylinder head for the 2nd time. I then had to drive it up to the dealer, who gave me the option of having it repaired via mobile machine shop with the lock-n-stitch insert, which I had done.

Yes. Personal anecdote:

When my Expedition's 5.4L launched #8, I was delighted to find that I could thread a new plug back into the hole and was able to torque it down, no problem. I was warned, think it might have been by @Trav that the threads were likely damaged and it would probably blow out again.

A few weeks later, with no sounds leading up to the event, unlike with the previous one, where it sounded like I had an exhaust leak, #8 dramatically exited the cylinder head for the 2nd time. I then had to drive it up to the dealer, who gave me the option of having it repaired via mobile machine shop with the lock-n-stitch insert, which I had done.
Hehe you should have added some jb-weld high-heat on your plug ;)

I don't honestly expect this to last years, I mean, if it does, great, but my primary objective is to pass a smog test to renew the registration on the vehicle. So, even if it lasts a few hundred miles that's fine.

PS: I think now you know, next time you hear the "exhaust leak" noise tighten all the plugs and perhaps next time it won't pop out entirely.

And now the next task for jb-weld, installing the mysteriously missing downstream o2. Drilled a hole and waiting for the bung to dry. I'll need to add a second layer around it to be sure there are no leaks tomorrow and let that set too before I install the o2 sensor but I have faith hehe.

Attachments

• 20220410_181739.jpg
    20220410_181739.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 11
Hehe you should have added some jb-weld high-heat on your plug ;)

I don't honestly expect this to last years, I mean, if it does, great, but my primary objective is to pass a smog test to renew the registration on the vehicle. So, even if it lasts a few hundred miles that's fine.

PS: I think now you know, next time you hear the "exhaust leak" noise tighten all the plugs and perhaps next time it won't pop out entirely.

And now the next task for jb-weld, installing the mysteriously missing downstream o2. Drilled a hole and waiting for the bung to dry. I'll need to add a second layer around it to be sure there are no leaks tomorrow and let that set too before I install the o2 sensor but I have faith hehe.
Whoa! That looks like easy access with a MIG gun....what am I missing?

Whoa! That looks like easy access with a MIG gun....what am I missing?
I don't know how to weld, just moved and don't want to waste the gas to drive to the city I used to live in where I could have a buddy do it, and I already had left-over JB-weld so why not? Unless you are volunteering to come weld it properly for free ;)

Did the coil you used have a tang that had to be broken off or tangless. Call Time-Sert and ask them about oversized inserts. I also have a feeling there is more damage than just the plug.

Time certs are good but expensive, at least for my neon.

Back