Found some CI-4/SL oil at a gas station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some gallon jugs of CI-4/SL Note that I said CI-4 and not CI-4 plus. They had the API donut, but it was some off brand name that I'm not familiar with. It was a good price at 10.99/gal. Has this stuff been sitting there for years or something? Should I go back and pick some up?

I can't remember the name of the oil, but it wasn't a common name like chevron or shell. I like the 15w40 weight

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I found some gallon jugs of CI-4/SL Note that I said CI-4 and not CI-4 plus. They had the API donut, but it was some off brand name that I'm not familiar with. It was a good price at 10.99/gal. Has this stuff been sitting there for years or something? Should I go back and pick some up?

I can't remember the name of the oil, but it wasn't a common name like chevron or shell. I like the 15w40 weight
Yes, it's pretty ancient. I would guess at least 12 years old or so. Delvac 1300 would likely be cheaper with current rebates. I'm actually using my LAST gallon of the 99 cent Delo 400 SAE 30 from the AZ closeout of around 8 yrs. ago-now THAT was a good HDEO deal!

You do not mention what weight the oil is.

If its a 20/50 it very well maybe current.
Amsoil sells a diesel oil rated CI4 or CI4+ in the 20/50 weight.
Im curious about the name for sure.

Last edited:
It's 15w40, but I don' recall the name. I find it hard to believe its been sitting there for 12 years. He had a full shelf. 4 or 5 deep.

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
What aprovals, ACEA Ex, Cummins, Cat, MB ...?

I Just saw the API donut, didn't look for anything else, not saying they weren't there. Usually if it's some no name oil it will just say meets the specs, but this one had the API donut so I was baffled.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
You do not mention what weight the oil is.

If its a 20/50 it very well maybe current.
Amsoil sells a diesel oil rated CI4 or CI4+ in the 20/50 weight.
Im curious about the name for sure.

Am$oil also makes a CI4+ in 15w40.

I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up a no name oil just because it's CI4+ rated. CJ4 and the new CK4 are both a much more stable formulation in terms of viscosity retention and thermal/oxidative protection, and is also what is recommended for your year truck.

Last edited:
I guess my main question is do they keep making outdated speced oil when they go to the next API rating?

Hopefully someone much better qualified than me can answer that but from my experiences no. The Schaeffer rep spec'd out CJ4 to my cousin for his farm equipment, 90% of which is made up of pre emission engines. It is what he recommends as the best value for the extended service interval program he has my cousin on. They do not offer CI4+ in bulk as they feel their CJ4 (and now CK4) is the best formula available. Looking at Schaeffers website they are claiming 85% wear reductions when comparing their CK4 formula to a conventional CJ4. Thats huge. Why anyone would want to use an outdated formula is beyond me.
The only place I see CI4+ oil is from the boutique oil companies like Am$oil, Lucas and RedLine. Schaeffers does make some 15w40s that are CI4 but they are touted as racing oils with crazy amounts of zinc and phos. and are not tailored for the average consumer. Every rep I've spoken with in the matter recommends the latest API ranking for daily use wether at the consumer level or commercial level.

I guess my main question is do they keep making outdated speced oil when they go to the next API rating?

Sure, I just bought a CI4 15w40, E7, A3B4 named URANIA (Petronas) in my last trip. Freshly made. The problem with no names obsolete ratings (if CI is considered obsolete already) as said here before by TomNJ is lack of fiscalization on the regulation. They say it meets, but who knows for sure ...

For example Pqia doesn't look after a gasoline SG oil anymore, so the no names can make false marketing about its quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OPR4H

Sure, I just bought a CI4 15w40, E7, A3B4 named URANIA (Petronas) in my last trip. Freshly made.

PETRONAS Dagangan Berhad (PDB) is the principal marketing arm of Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS). Incorporated in Malaysia under the Companies Act 1965 on 5 August 1982 and listed on the Main Board of Bursa Malaysia on 8 March 1994, PDB has since established itself as Malaysia’s leading retailer and marketer of downstream oil and gas products.

http://www.mymesra.com.my/[email protected]

Shipping from Malaysia could get a touch pricey eh?
wink.gif

Order oil from overseas so you can have CI4+ ?????

They still make Mobil Delvac MX ; its CI4+ and available in the US!

Went back today. It's called pure guard. Cummins ces 20078, among others. I think it also said Volkswagen 505. Made in Shreveport La

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back