Found radiator cap was bad, damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 350z a few days ago, drove fine but I really didn't give it a full 100% inspection before the purchase. Well I put about 200 miles on it, and a few redline bursts here and there.

Tonight just for fun I decided to squeeze my upper radiator hose after a long 60 mile drive in about 90f weather....Upper radiator hose had no pressure. Funny thing is, I have had no coolant loss from what I can see, radiator was full, reservoir was fine. I did notice the cooling fans kicked in alot, but I dont think low pressure in the system would cause a higher temp, unless there was fluid loss --which there wasn't. Put on a 1.2bar cap from my Twin Turbo Z, and it seemed to hold pressure.

The car runs perfectly, acceleration is a bit on the lacking side for a Z, but it sounds great. Could running with little to no pressure actually cause damage to the heads on a vq35de, if the system was always full?

Pressurization raises the boiling point, so, logically this bit of physics was defeated.

Worst case scenario I can see with that is the coolant boiling. Boiling coolant can cause hot spots and possibly cavitation issues but with all the additives in coolant, this is typically a non-issue. The coolant also raises the boiling point, so if it even boiled in the first place is a good question to contemplate.

So, did it cause you a problem? Highly unlikely. Some people run around without the rad cap on fully to diagnose issues, others run around with a rad full of only water, which lowers the boiling point and about accomplishes the same thing.

You're fine.

Last edited:
I run my '98 Grand Marquis with the pressure cap loose because it has the failure prone plastic intake manifold, been this way three years with zero issues... Prior I ran a '93 with a seeping radiator tank for at least three years, no issues on that one either...

the 350z would have tripped into limp mode if the temp shot up to the danger area. no harm done, enjoy the car.

Last edited:
My father had the cap loose on the Astrovan for a few years. Had a cracked tank, and with the cap loose it would not pressurize. Lost less water that way.

The radiator cap stopped holding pressure on my '88 fuel injected Accord.
The only symptom is it would boil over a little after stopping the engine but only after driving fast on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back