Found on 5th wheel tire this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. An ST235/80R16E has a higher capacity than any LT that can replace it. (I have never actually seen a trailer than called for D-rated 16" tires.)

After spending a great deal of time on RV forums, and listening to many many tales of tire woes, I have come to the following conclusions about tires on trailers:

1) Most trailer manufacturers use marginally sized tires. They pick a tire size that BARELY covers the load.

2) Some trailer manufacturers do a poor job of estimating the actual load on the tires. Not only do they underestimate how much stuff people put in, but they don't account for front to rear and side to side load variation - AND - they size the tire based on a 65 mph speed limitation, which is frequently violated. (Did I mention that trailer manufacturers don't normally inform purchasers of this speed limitation?)

3) There is a severe disconnect between trailer manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Trailer tires are usually sold by a wholesaler - they are not a direct purchase from the tire manufacturer. Trailer manufacturers don't do warranty on tires, so they never know how well the tires are performing.

4) Most trailer tire manufacturers are based on low cost producing countries - typically China. Not only does that mean that trailer tires are behind the development cycle, it also means that there isn't a good feedback loop between the consumer and the manufacturer, so it isn't recognized that improvements are needed, nor can improvements be tracked once they are made.

5) Many folks aren't used to the level of maintenance that trailers require. They are used to car and trucks produced by HUGE manufacturers with excellent feedback systems, that have developed their products durability to the extent that maintenance is hardly necessary.

By contrast, trailers are way behind in this area - as are the tires. There is a whole new learning curve that needs to take place for trailer owners, that isn't present in cars and trucks.

Not to mention that most folks are not capable of recognizing the difference between road hazard related failures (which are more or less unavoidable and will occur regardless) and durability failures (either caused by the tire's shortcomings, the vehicle manufacturer's shortcomings, or the owner's shortcomings). This clouds the picture to the extent that ANY tire would be blamed for things that aren't the fault of the tire.

**** In summary, the trailer tire situation is confusing and complex and getting a solution to an individual's problem requires work on the part of the owner - weighing the trailer, for example.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

2) Some trailer manufacturers do a poor job of estimating the actual load on the tires. Not only do they underestimate how much stuff people put in, but they don't account for front to rear and side to side load variation - AND - they size the tire based on a 65 mph speed limitation, which is frequently violated. (Did I mention that trailer manufacturers don't normally inform purchasers of this speed limitation?)

I always wince a bit when I'm on the Interstate and I get passed by a 150/1500 pulling a HUGE 5th wheel travel trailer going 80MPH.

5) [/b]Many folks aren't used to the level of maintenance that trailers require.[/b] They are used to car and trucks produced by HUGE manufacturers with excellent feedback systems, that have developed their products durability to the extent that maintenance is hardly necessary.

Bearing fires. Trailers going down the road with dryrotted tires. Agreed here.

Some excellent posts in here. Also doesnt help when you rent a uhaul trailer and they dont check the tires.

I tend to think the "real truth" is somewhere in the middle.

A combination of lesser quality trailer tires.. and under spec'ed tires/abuse/speeding etc.

After spending a great deal of time on RV forums, and listening to many many tales of tire woes, I have come to the following conclusions about tires on trailers:

1) Most trailer manufacturers use marginally sized tires. They pick a tire size that BARELY covers the load.

3) There is a severe disconnect between trailer manufacturers and tire manufacturers. Trailer tires are usually sold by a wholesaler - they are not a direct purchase from the tire manufacturer. Trailer manufacturers don't do warranty on tires, so they never know how well the tires are performing.

4) Most trailer tire manufacturers are based on low cost producing countries - typically China. Not only does that mean that trailer tires are behind the development cycle, it also means that there isn't a good feedback loop between the consumer and the manufacturer, so it isn't recognized that improvements are needed, nor can improvements be tracked once they are made.

5) Many folks aren't used to the level of maintenance that trailers require. They are used to car and trucks produced by HUGE manufacturers with excellent feedback systems, that have developed their products durability to the extent that maintenance is hardly necessary.

By contrast, trailers are way behind in this area - as are the tires. There is a whole new learning curve that needs to take place for trailer owners, that isn't present in cars and trucks.

Not to mention that most folks are not capable of recognizing the difference between road hazard related failures (which are more or less unavoidable and will occur regardless) and durability failures (either caused by the tire's shortcomings, the vehicle manufacturer's shortcomings, or the owner's shortcomings). This clouds the picture to the extent that ANY tire would be blamed for things that aren't the fault of the tire.

**** In summary, the trailer tire situation is confusing and complex and getting a solution to an individual's problem requires work on the part of the owner - weighing the trailer, for example.

While I agree with your post-most information found on RV boards regarding tires are false and misleading/suspect. Example-no body pulls faster than 65mph but any of us on ANY MAJOR HIGHWAY on the weekends see this isn't the case.

We have found one brand of Chinese tire that so far,has proven to be relatively good. Son-in-law was told to try Samson brand of tractor tire, so he put 4 on the drive axle of the tractor. After farming for a couple of years now the tires still look really good and have not shown a lot of wear and not other problems. They then tried a pair on his Dad's school bus camper steer axle(22.5") and they installed them at home-one tire required no balancing weights and the other very minimum, and tires were round. Three trips south to Quartzite and no problems. They then put a full set on the Kenworth road tractor with same satisfactory results. Last year as I was traveling through I blew a Max?? something on our 5th wheel-so ended up with a Samson on the trailer. It was about 10 to 12 lbs heavier than the tire that came off-I only put 3000 trouble free miles on it before trading it off. So far we are convinced you don't have to pay the exorbitant amounts for the NA brands of tires.

Originally Posted By: JKW
We have found one brand of Chinese tire that so far,has proven to be relatively good. Son-in-law was told to try Samson brand of tractor tire, so he put 4 on the drive axle of the tractor. After farming for a couple of years now the tires still look really good and have not shown a lot of wear and not other problems. They then tried a pair on his Dad's school bus camper steer axle(22.5") and they installed them at home-one tire required no balancing weights and the other very minimum, and tires were round. Three trips south to Quartzite and no problems. They then put a full set on the Kenworth road tractor with same satisfactory results. Last year as I was traveling through I blew a Max?? something on our 5th wheel-so ended up with a Samson on the trailer. It was about 10 to 12 lbs heavier than the tire that came off-I only put 3000 trouble free miles on it before trading it off. So far we are convinced you don't have to pay the exorbitant amounts for the NA brands of tires.

The tires you have mentioned have gained some acceptance with "Class A" owners. The Michelin fanboys over on the RV forums won't accept a truly good tire can be cheaper. However, please note a 3" nail will take out a tire under the right conditions regardless of what said tire weighs.....

When I purchased my Maxima in 2007 the factory Goodyear RSA's had a bulge similar to this on one tire. The salesman laughed at me when I asked for it to be replaced and said I worry too much. Certified Pre-Owned my arse! Turned out to be an Enterprise rental car as well. Oh well, I may have overpaid but the car was very reliable other than horrible gas mileage. Recently sold for even worse gas mileage...

With my family's lives on the line. I have to have confidence in the tires om my vehicle. Going over curbs or hitting something like a steel cover in a construction area.(As i found out)Will break belts in your tires.
I have heard many good things about Korean tires.The Koreans torture products and work out defects. i had someone tell me about Hyundai cars beating Toyota in reliability ratings. I have yet to hear good stuff about tires from China.Or anything else for that matter.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
With my family's lives on the line. I have to have confidence in the tires om my vehicle. Going over curbs or hitting something like a steel cover in a construction area.(As i found out)Will break belts in your tires.
I have heard many good things about Korean tires.The Koreans torture products and work out defects. i had someone tell me about Hyundai cars beating Toyota in reliability ratings. I have yet to hear good stuff about tires from China.Or anything else for that matter.

I think you the first owner to actually admit having an incident. Usually the tires blow-and a owner's contributed cause is never admitted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back