Found Old Oil On Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing some cleaning up and found some old oil on a shelf in my garage, I don't know exactly how old it is. Is there any way to tell?

There are like 10 of the Valvoline bottles (mostly the one in the center of the picture) and 5 of the MotorCraft bottles. Would these still be good?

qyyx.jpg

The Valvoline bottle on the left and Motorcraft bottle on the right are late 90's early 2000's. Don't know about the one in the middle. The Motorcraft bottles from that time were cool in the respect that they were sealed with foil under the lid. Not sure if the ones now are or not.

Last edited:
TFBird, the shelf life on motor oil is effectively "forever". You can definitely use those. If you have any doubts, just mix it in with the newer version of said oil.

Originally Posted By: dparm
TFBird, the shelf life on motor oil is effectively "forever". You can definitely use those. If you have any doubts, just mix it in with the newer version of said oil.

Or use in your mower.

I would use it in a heartbeat - but then I drive a 1993 Ford Taurus. If you do decide to use it, be sure and shake the bottles before you pour as some of the additives will have settled out over time.

I remember the Valvoline bottle in the center from when I worked at an auto parts store '96-'97.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Check the API SX rating on the labels.

I suspect they are API SJ oils.

Looks like the one in the middle is an SH oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back