Found a quick lube coupon from '94...

Status
Not open for further replies.
While replacing the leaking heater control valve/rear hoses in my Explorer I gouged the heater core fittings trying to get the original hoses off. Since it's an easy replacement on this vehicle I decided to throw a new heater core at it. Found this 1994 quick lube coupon behind the glove box. Truck was built 6/94.

[Linked Image]

Guess the original owner missed out on their $5 off. Too bad the coupon doesn't show the regular price. It is from a suburb of Chicago.

Originally Posted by csandste
Bet that cap and bowtie went over big in '94.
Yeah, really old fashioned for 94'. Are they making some sort of nihilistic statement or is it just when advertising could still evoke memories from "The Greatest Generation"?

Dumping your trans fluid every 20k is anal even for a BITOGer, what's with that? Lots of pre-locking TC automatics on the roads back then or something?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Yeah, really old fashioned for 94'. Are they making some sort of nihilistic statement or is it just when advertising could still evoke memories from "The Greatest Generation"?

Dumping your trans fluid every 20k is anal even for a BITOGer, what's with that? Lots of pre-locking TC automatics on the roads back then or something?

As long as you generate lots of heat in your transmission, the fluid oxidizes rapidly. Ford's AX4N's in service over the past 25 years in Lincoln and Taurus probably should be changed by 20K miles for anything but highway miles.

Originally Posted by 69GTX

As long as you generate lots of heat in your transmission, the fluid oxidizes rapidly. Ford's AX4N's in service over the past 25 years in Lincoln and Taurus probably should be changed by 20K miles for anything but highway miles.

Another reason to steer away from Fords.

I've got 188,000 miles on my 2008 Ford F150

The only part I have had to replace other than brake pads/rotors is the alternator. That's it.

Can you say the same about any vehicle you have owned with the same mileage?

I had some friends in Streamwood back when I lived in the NW Suburbs of the Chicagoland Area. Not an especially nice place, but probably preferable to Elgin (where I lived).
My wife commuted to work on Barrington Road and it was an unholy mess...she was crawling in traffic one day when some kid in a Jeep zipped down the shoulder to get around as many people as he could and then crashed into her as he tried to force his way back onto the road. At the station, she heard one cop tell another "she wouldn't let him in"...sometimes cops are just as bad as the horrible drivers. Wouldn't let a guy driving illegally down the shoulder in...unbelievable. That kid got in trouble so much that he had a bond card...

You're talking 2 specialized Front Wheel Drive vehicles here. Rear wheel drive Fords are a different animal. Even with oil coolers, most transmissions will generate plenty of heat in around town summer driving.

I've owned 8 or so of them, mostly the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis/Lincoln packages. When those transmissions are taken care of with 20K-30K fluid changes they last. My 1988 CV got to 212K miles on the transmission. My 1997 Lincoln with the "problematic" AX4N made it to 232K miles when the water pump/engine failed. That trans was great on 25K fluid changes on mostly highway miles. I've had good luck with V8 Fords, Mercuries, and Lincolns. Drive them sanely, and do the proper fluid changes. They last...and they're cheap as heck as to buy even with low miles. I'm glad that so few have wanted them over the past 30 yrs. I'm just sad that the reliable rwd V8 Panther Platform was retired 7-8 years ago and soon low mileage used ones for sale at bargain prices will be a thing of the past.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with the Fords I've owned. Many with high mileage and I drive harshly.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I had some friends in Streamwood back when I lived in the NW Suburbs of the Chicagoland Area. Not an especially nice place, but probably preferable to Elgin (where I lived).
My wife commuted to work on Barrington Road and it was an unholy mess...she was crawling in traffic one day when some kid in a Jeep zipped down the shoulder to get around as many people as he could and then crashed into her as he tried to force his way back onto the road. At the station, she heard one cop tell another "she wouldn't let him in"...sometimes cops are just as bad as the horrible drivers. Wouldn't let a guy driving illegally down the shoulder in...unbelievable. That kid got in trouble so much that he had a bond card...

Looks very suburban sprawl on Google Maps, vinyl siding and strip malls for miles. Not knocking it, I live in the same thing.

The Explorer was sold new at Wickstrom Ford in Barrington. I don't think it was in the area very long though, it's as rust free as it gets. No rust anywhere and never rustproofed.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Looks very suburban sprawl on Google Maps, vinyl siding and strip malls for miles. Not knocking it, I live in the same thing.
The Explorer was sold new at Wickstrom Ford in Barrington. I don't think it was in the area very long though, it's as rust free as it gets. No rust anywhere and never rustproofed.

Yep, that Explorer did not live long in the Chicagoland Area if it is not a rust bucket by now...unless it was a winter garage queen!
Streamwood just looked a little more run down than most towns near it, like Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates (just Hoffman if you lived around there), and Barrington...but, as far as I know, it didn't suffer from drive by shootings and other gang activity like Elgin. We lived in newer construction that was sort of in a ring around Elgin, but cutting through "downtown" was pretty dicey...I went to a gym that was across town from my house and people could cut me off, try to run me off the road, flip me off, and throw stuff at my car and I would just wave and say "Have a nice day!" Too much chance of somebody with a gun being the driver ticking me off...
I knew we had made a mistake picking our house when I drove through the center of town one day and saw a bar called something like "Barley And Hops" with people passed out all over the sidewalk in front of it. Yikes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back