"Found" a case of MaxLife 20W-50...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a hidden case of ($0.99) MaxLife 20W-50 in my stash, have two "sixpacks" of ($0.99) Synpower in the same weight: What do the "longer OCI/synthetic" types out there think of using this as three 4 X MaxLife + 4 X Synpower mixes with an 8K OCI for the 420SEL's?

A little le$$ expen$ive than the AME I've been using...

Cheers! & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

So long as youre never under freezing, Id say go for it.

Id also say that you can do better all around with a 15w-40 or 5w-40 oil.

My friend owns one of those and says that those engines like a 20W-50 weight oil unless in really cold weather. He uses a 15W-50 blend year round from Mystic, which is a CI4+ oil as well. He has also used the Synpower 20W-50 for one year oil changes in his 91. H said he is happy using either one.

I use a lot of _W50 in Northern California. I have more than a decade of running straight 20W50 all year. I even had experience with starts in ski country.

I do blending to get seasonal shifts and would suggest getting som SynPower 5W30 to blend with either 50/50 to get ~12W40.

Right now you can get 5qt jug at WM for ~$17 then go for Valvoline reabte of $10 THRU 2/3/09.

Have you confirmed 8K OCI on other single malt oil ? Without evidence I would only take full synth to 6K generally. The Maxlife is not even synth (some %) so no extended OCI for it, consider it dino.

Although I blend a lot for viscosity/cost reason, I believe blending certainly does nor improve the oil per se, and likely reduce effectiveness of add pack. Best case is blending from same product line. But viscosity is more important to me than add pack.

The SynPower 20W50, BTW, is likely to be substantially/all PAO per MSDS. It certainly leaked like it when I used in a 1985 911 (which has factory recommended 15K OCI!!)

Last edited:
I'm currently in my 2nd 15K OCI using Amsoil AME 15W-40...

8K OCI's with the suggested 50/50 mix gets me to 200K for $24 plus 3 Hengst filters.

Cheers!

My main concern as noted above is the cold temperature operation. So you'd have a sort of transitional between regular and high mileage oil.
grin2.gif
Guess I would split the difference between the OCI length of a full syn and that of a conventional, so if they were 5000 and 9000, go 7000, but that is just a very crude analysis, may be good longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back