Found a bottle of Quaker State Peak Performance on the Shelf

I was at a the Meijer today here in Muncie, Indiana to get some groceries, I went over to the other side of the store to look for hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol, of course they were out, but I took a quick pass through the oil aisle and found this old bottle of QS Peak Performance on the shelf, says copyright 2003 on the back so it's probably like 15 years old.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bottle even looks old from discoloration or manhandling.
Is it the only single bottle on the shelf?
Did you ask'em how much they'd take for it?
I'd give'em ,25c-.50c for it and use it for the oil can.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The bottle even looks old from discoloration or manhandling.
Is it the only single bottle on the shelf?
Did you ask'em how much they'd take for it?
I'd give'em ,25c-.50c for it and use it for the oil can.

Didn't bother to ask anyone, there was only just the one, I don't have any need for it, I'm guessing they found it under a shelf or something when they remodeled the store in the last year, hard to believe that in over 15 years that it wouldn't have gotten clearanced off at some point if it had sat out in the open, I wonder if I scanned it if you'd even get a price or if it wouldn't even be in the system.

It's a little surprising that you didn't scan it at a price checking station (if Meijer's has those) or go to an employee. They all carry price scanners.

Originally Posted by Kira
It's a little surprising that you didn't scan it at a price checking station (if Meijer's has those) or go to an employee. They all carry price scanners.

I work at a different meijer store, yes there are price scanners throughout the Store, but no, we don't all carry scanners.

back to the topic at hand, doing a little internet archeology (literally running the UPC through amazon) they still use that same UPC for their Current "Conventional" 5w20 offering, "Advanced Durability".
so even if he had scanned it, it would just have come up at the current QSAD 5w20 price.

I'd buy it and then go to the Stihl store and get me a shiny new chainsaw.
Except 0w20 is the wrong weight...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira

With current situation I was trying to minimize touching things I wasn't going to buy and minimize close personal contact.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
I think the API SL rating spanned 2001 - 2004. Maybe the date code is March 31 of 2004?

Probably, the earliest datasheet I can find crawling through their website on archive.org, was dated January 2005 and by that point it'd already been reformulated to API SM

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
I think the API SL rating spanned 2001 - 2004. Maybe the date code is March 31 of 2004?

Yeah, forgot about it being SL, maybe it is 09/01/2004???

I can't remember off hand how QS (and Pennzoil) does their date code, but I thought theirs was one of the simple ones to read. .
Also, after looking at it again, the last part could be Q9012, so no idea if that is the case.

Last edited:
Hope you don't see this as a thread derail

This was in the trunk of one of my cars. 2002
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back