Found 12 quarts of the German Syntec...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
As much as I'm very interested in seeing this UOA on my sister's oil, I hope that you guys don't base your decisions on this one UOA!

On the one hand, my sister's car is easy on the oil since she drives all highway and piles on the miles very fast. So if the report looks awesome, a major part of that is due to the driving conditions.

At the same time, if it comes back looking less than stellar, it's possible that her particular engine is tighter, and might not like the thicker viscosity of this oil.

As I mentioned here recently, my sister is now planning on moving out to Vancouver, and will not be taking her car, so I'll only have this UOA and one more and then that's it. Her second UOA will have probably 7 or 8k on it, but not much more than that now, not if she leaves in less than 6 months like she's planning. I was hoping to see an interval closer to 10k or more, but that's not going to happen now.

I will be running this oil in my mom's 94 Probe GT starting this fall, but she only drives about 60 to 70 miles a week now, so her UOAs won't have too much mileage on them. I'll be changing her oil twice a year though, once in the fall and then once in the spring.

[ June 24, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by katsdad:
...at Autozone for 4.99 a piece. Should I get them or wait to find out if this stuff is as least as good as the 4.99 mobil 1?

I say buy it! I too found some at a local Autozone and bought 6 quarts (last ones they had) and I'm holding on to it until my minivan needs an oil change then I'll dump it in the van. I figure if doesn't live up to the hype then at least I tried it. There's always the Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 to fall back on. Just my $0.02
smile.gif

well i have over 4000 miles on my syntec and once i get my free oil analysis kit that supposed to be here in 2-3 weeks then ill send out my "abused" syntec for analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by Problem Solver:
What's the scoop on "German Syntec" ? Does this have a different formulation than the U.S. formula ? Curious. Thanks.

ProblemSolver,

Just do a search on this board and you will come up with the answer. Good luck!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:

quote:

The signature piston slap and wrist pin tick of the GM 3.4 has been all but eliminated with this grade of Mobil 1.

so it's still there?

Yes, it's still there--barely. Short of replacing the pistons and wrist pins, there is no absolute "cure" for it. But I guarantee you this: if you were standing beside my van with the engine at operating temp, you wouldn't hear it. The only time you will with the 0w40 is on a cold start, and even then you have to listen for it.

once i get my free oil analysis kit that supposed to be here in 2-3 weeks

From where did you order? Mine from Blackstone came in about 4 days.

...at Autozone for 4.99 a piece. Should I get them or wait to find out if this stuff is as least as good as the 4.99 mobil 1?

quote:

Originally posted by katsdad:

Get it and save your receipt. After Patman posts the first UOA, if it turns out to be terrible, you can take the Castrol back and tell 'em you changed your mind and want to get Mobil 1.

I'm sort of in a quandary over this oil myself. I've got to change the oil in my van this week, and I can't decide if I want to go with the German Syntec or not. My van seems to really "love" Mobil 1 0w40. The signature piston slap and wrist pin tick of the GM 3.4 has been all but eliminated with this grade of Mobil 1. All Mobil 1 grades that I've tried reduced the noise a lot, but none as much as the 0w40. There is just a little bit on cold start, and as soon as the engine gets warmed up, it's gone completely.

Should I switch to the German Syntec or not?
dunno.gif

Same situation here... my '98 GM 3.4 piston slap was horible with reg Castrol Syntec, I have done well with a K&N filter and M1 5-30 and 10-30 since the 0-40 you mentioned is not availabvle here..
frown.gif

I was waiting fot the UOA also, but the german syntec is lined-up for my Acura..
Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back