Fortnine Chain Lube Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always, Ryan is pretty entertaining
smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

Watched it last night.

I always wondered what the point of lubing a sealed chain was, and did not know the difference between an x-chain and o-ring chain.

Not an issue for me, I prefer shaft drive, but still some good info.

It seems to me the parts in the drive train that should be lubricated, but because of their design, lends itself to be "lubricant flingers", are the drive gear and rear sprocket. Dirt and grit can be stuck to them, and will help grind gear teeth pointy. High horsepower bikes will stretch chains no matter what you apply for lubrication. Sticky type lube will keep dirt and grit stuck to whatever it's applied to. I personally am glad I no longer have to deal with external drive chains. Belts aren't as fussy, and shaft drive bikes make maint even easier.,,

It would seem logical that a high tack chainsaw bar lubricant would surpass all of these if rust prevention and minimal sling are desired. It wouldn't do well with regard to the stickiness test though.

I might put some gear lube in a squirt bottle and try that. I have been using Honda's white moly chain lube for years and I get tens of thousands of miles out of the OEM chains.

I've tried every chain lube specific product I could find over the years. Far more than his small sample, plus gear oils, ATF's, motor oil, etc., etc.

To date, I still like the Pro Honda HP chain lube (in the white and red can) the best. When applied to a hot chain and allowed to dry, it generally stays on the outer rollers for a couple hundred miles, and on the sprockets until it's cleaned off with kerosene. The chains and sprockets last the longest for me using this product.

As for holding grit, I use the same lube on our dirtbike chains. We're at the sand dunes this weekend, and taking a break from riding for lunch. I lubed the chains last night, and let them dry. Just looking at them now, there is very little sand stuck to the chains. Gear oil holds more sand on the chain.

I've been using Maxima chain wax spray for years. Having a H-D, I have plenty of 75w-140 syn gear oil on hand. Gonna give that a try. Just ordered a .80 cents 4oz squirt bottle on ebay to pack for trips.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Wurth HHS 2000

Lube every fill up, or after driving in rain. Takes 30 seconds. Never do anything else, not evening cleaning.

Member on Stromtrooper gets 50K miles per chain with that regimen. Good enough for me.

Yep, as he finally discussed, lubing the chain is mostly to keep the chain rollers (inside and out) and sprocket teeth lubed to reduce wear. He's wrong about the lube on rollers "going away instantly" ... maybe with some lubes, but not with good lubes.

I've used Maxima chain was for decades. It almost seems better now than it was 30 years ago. I can usually get 300~400 miles until the rollers start to look shiny, which is the sign to clean and relube.

Another trick I do is when the chain is nice and warm from a long ride, is to put a rubber glove on and respread the lube that has worked it's way to the outside of the links due to centripical force back on to the outside of the rollers. Gives me quite a few extra miles until the rollers get shiny again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back