Formula Shell, new formulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know; it's not an oil worth going out of your way for. But I was in Advance Auto Parts for something else the other day and they had it for under a buck a quart, so I picked up a few. Interestingly, there were black bottles and white bottles. The black bottles say "Distributed by Equilon Enterprises LLC, Houston, TX" whereas the white bottles say "clean engine formula" and "Distributed by Sopus Products, Houston, TX." Is this the same stuff in two different bottles, or something completely different? And, should I really care if I'm using it for a 3K OCI in a beater with 230K on it already?

Mike: It's a decent oil. The black bottle was a Group I Group II mix and the white bottle is a Group II base stock. Has a decent additive package with Shellvis VI in it. Would make you a good oil for 3,000 to 4,000 mile changes.

Just while the Shell PCMO topic was up " rarely spoke about here " both their 5 and 10w-30 wt Synthetic Blends are real PAO blends .

One of a handfull of these types left now that most blends use group III .

Their 30wt PCMO Synthetic is all PAO
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Just while the Shell PCMO topic was up " rarely spoke about here " both their 5 and 10w-30 wt Synthetic Blends are real PAO blends .

According to an e-mail I got from Peter Van B (can't remember how to spell his last name) at Shell, the various grades of Formula Shell synthetic are all Group III (and not XHVI Group III, either.)

I have no reason to doubt your source of information but it sure seems SOPUS Products is having a hard time with their MSDS's .

cough > Quaker State Synthetic msds for a year now
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back