Formula Shell Full Synthetic from BJ's

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up 2 cases of 6 qts each of this oil from BJ's. PQIA tests show this oil specs very close the Amsoil OEM oil. Did an OC tonight on my 14 Focus ST. 6k on the odo. First impressions are engine is quieter. Real test comes later....5 miles from house to work with a DI turbo motor. Used Motorcraft Synthetic blend at the 3k OC. Oil smelled like it came from a lawn mower. Don't need a oil analysis to know there is fuel dilution. How much? don't know, but it doesn't take a science guy to know its there with my short trips and engine type. With filter, this is a $26 OC.

You will never know how much/little fuel is in the oil without the benefits of a UOA. As has also been discussed and shown by the countless UOAs here, a little dilution has never been shown to damage anything. Both oils you mention are excellent product and if fuel dilution is your main concern, synthetic oil won't help lessen it, OCI length will.

Great car!
19.gif

One day I will have a UOA done. I have seen several results over at the Focus ST forum. No one had any issues with fuel being too high. Just unnerving that it smelled so strong. Never had that before. I change every 3k because its cheap and my very short trips to and from work. I only put about 800 miles a month.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
One day I will have a UOA done. I have seen several results over at the Focus ST forum. No one had any issues with fuel being too high. Just unnerving that it smelled so strong. Never had that before. I change every 3k because its cheap and my very short trips to and from work. I only put about 800 miles a month.

I can understand that.
Food for thought, with a 3000 mile oci, Motorcraft SB should be fine. But if you're dipping into that turbo often or tracking, Formula Shell Syn isnt a bad choice at all.

No tracking but I utilize the turbo every chance I get!
laugh.gif

I purchased the Shell because it was on sale for almost $7 less than the MC for 6 quarts. I started a nice stash of the Shell.

Last edited:
I have used Formula Shell Full Synthetic for years now in several cars and several 100,000 miles and I have no complaints. Several UOA's show it holds up just fine. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back