Formula Shell 10W30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the bulk oil we use at our shop, we used to use Havoline 10W30.

Aluminum - 0
Chromium - 0
Iron - 1
Copper - 0
Lead - 0
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 1
Nickel - 0
Manganese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 3
Silicon - 2
Sodium - 1
Calcium - 1604
Magnesium - 5
Phosphorus - 731
Zinc - 857
Barium - 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210F - 61.4
Flashpoint in F - 425

Comments: Sean, we found nothing unusual in this sample of Shell's 10W30. No moisture or insolubles were present, and the additive package was consistant with Shell's gasoline-use engine oil. This oil should work well for you.

I run this oil in my 9C1s and B4C Camaros along with our Shell oil filters (Purolator Premium Plus).

Any comments would be welcome
smile.gif

Sean

Someone mentioned recently how well this oil cleaned out a sludge filled engine they had, but I can't see this oil being any different than any other common OTC conventional. Doesn't look to be any more potent as far as cleaning goes, unless it has some esters in there (which is very doubtful)

Thanks for the insight Patman, I've been thinking of switching to Pennzoil 10W30 in everything, just to get some moly in the engine. Most all of our cars have 100k+, but the LT1 is such a stout engine, it doesn't seem to matter what I run in it? All of the other techs at our shop hate Pennzoil, still believe in the old wivestale about sludging up engines. We still have an old Pennzoil sticker on our tank that carries the Shell oil, go figure.

Sean

By the way, you might want to consider a different filter for your LT1s. The Purolator now uses cardboard endcaps. I'm currently running a K&N HP3002 on my 95 Formula, but will most likely be switching to the Wix 51060 (sold up here as Carquest premium) since the places that sell the K&Ns up here seem to be phasing them out (they no longer even have a spot for the 3002 in the store closest to my house)

These LT1s sure are nice engines, this is my second LT1 Firebird actually (first one was a 95 TA, and in between I also owned a 98 Formula, which I dearly miss but stupidly traded in on a 97 GTP in a moment of weakness) Anyhow, my first LT1 ran 13.94 at 98.8 bone stock, this one has gone 13.89 at 98.2 with just good tires on the back (Toyo RA-1s) but no other mods. The first LT1 I had was a 2.73 A4, this one is a 3.23 A4. My LS1 was an M6, which eventually got 4.10 gears and a few other goodies and ran as quick as 12.68 at 110.7.

Sorry for drifting off topic.
smile.gif

I'm going to start running Wix or AC Delco filters on our cars. I have been reading about the cardboard endcaps so I am in the process of making the change. The filters have gone through about 3 redesign changes since we switched from the Havoline products.

Our Shell bottled oil says to "please recycle Havoline bottles" right on the back of them. These bottles are Equilon products.

Sean

No boron, no magnesium, no Moly. Calcium and zinc are low!! Yikes
shocked.gif

[ February 15, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back