former Twitter engineer disclosing some shady business

(Some NSFW language in there)

This is a former Twitter software engineer's thread. There were a few things that stood out to me as interesting:

1) The amount of logging this and other apps perform on your engagement with the app is pretty creepy. And since that data is integral to them in learning how to market to you, of course they want you to use the app and not the mobile web site (where that level of logging and privacy compromise would not be possible).
I have always just used mobile versions of sites whenever possible.
2) Interesting how catering to emerging economic markets is the driver behind resource, bandwidth and data optimizations.
3) Compressing outgoing log data seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?
4) But then this telco, to whom apparently compressing log data is indistinguishable from magic, wants to contract Twitter to get their wizards/engineers to enable them, too, to collect creepy amounts of data on their customers.

I don't believe there to be a tech company out there that doesn't have a 'creepy' amount of data logging. Even the much praised Apple. All of them are using your data for their purposes, not all of them good. They can preach all they want. In some corner, somewhere in the companies, someone is looking at your data and using it for who knows what.

Its scary how much data these places get on you. It would be scarier to know what they did with it.
I noted that the telco wanted to know when their customers went into a competitor's store. Something tells me the unsuspecting customer would be inundated with ads for their current telco in the days following their unsanctioned visit! :^)

I think the good news/ bad news is the same news: They want the data to craft more sophisticated marketing; which includes keeping you staring at the app. If the analytics indicated that you scroll past pictures of avocado toast but pause and possibly engage with politically divisive posts from others, guess what you're going to see more of.

Out of curiosity, I tend to look up pricing for meds when I hear one advertised on TV.
I don't take any meds nor have a single health issue, probably because I'm under 50.
However, ever since looking up HIV meds, every time I watch Adam-12 on Freevee, they air an HIV med commercial called Dovato.

Data gathering is as old as the first internet user, why are people surprised?
Exactly - assume everything you do on the internet is tracked, correlated to be you even if your not logged in, and data mined. Mostly because it is.

Unless I read it wrong, it didn't actually happen. It was asked for and proposed, but never came to reality.

Funnier is that it’s all disclosed in the big disclaimer when you sign up, all the logging is public knowledge with the worst being tictoc and nobody cares.

Most of us don't read more than the headline in a news article. It's not right to expect people to read a multiple page disclaimer when a mobile app is being installed.

Government should be protecting us but it looks like that ship has sailed.

Most of us don't read more than the headline in a news article. It's not right to expect people to read a multiple page disclaimer when a mobile app is being installed.

Government should be protecting us but it looks like that ship has sailed.
The EU at least tries (hence all the cookie notices on websites)…. Too many bribes… er “donations” to politicians in the States.

By a show of hands: How many people go into their competitor's telco store and launch Twitter?

It really doesn't matter who contracted the Chinese factory to make your hardware (Apple, Samsung, Google, et al.) nor does it matter the OS or kernel under the hood if the apps your install on it are listening to you in the bathroom!
Yeah, it does matter.
Apple doesnt allow this, once you close the app its closed as best I understand it (unless you "opt in") and why companies like Facebook have been hammered in lost advertising revenue which even Facebook admitted lost up to 10 billion in revenue because of Apples new policies. (think about that, 10 BILLION in lost revenue and that is just one company, now add in all the others and I think its 10 billion every six months for the big guys alone)

The apps on your Android phone can crosstrack even when you are not using the app. Android in not a problem for these companies, Apple is.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back