Former Cold War Air Force base up for auction ‘as-is, where-is’

Yoopers have dreamed forever of succeeding and becoming their own state of Superior. The map below indicates they also have intentions of a hostile takeover of portions of northern Wisconsin. The K.I. Sawyer airbase would be the logical state capital site for such a state, located in the center of their logging and mining industry.
1659186584306.jpg

I started my career in the eastern U.P. just miles from the defunct Kincheloe SAC base - nothing more startling than being out in the wilderness and a B-52 passes overhead so low you can see the rivets in the sheet metal. They developed that airbase into an industrial and prison site. It has housing subdivisions leftover from the old Air Force days.
1659187158682.jpg

Yoopers have dreamed forever of succeeding and becoming their own state of Superior. The map below indicates they also have intentions of a hostile takeover of portions of northern Wisconsin. The K.I. Sawyer airbase would be the logical state capital site for such a state, located in the center of their logging and mining industry.
View attachment 110330

I started my career in the eastern U.P. just miles from the defunct Kincheloe SAC base - nothing more startling than being out in the wilderness and a B-52 passes overhead so low you can see the rivets in the sheet metal. They developed that airbase into an industrial and prison site. It has housing subdivisions leftover from the old Air Force days.
View attachment 110331
If the A/F left some nuke weapons this could be the spot to have your own nation and the U.S. taxpayers will give you foreign aid and yes as a most do, give the politicians their 20% kick back. Get the B52 air worthy soviet union style. All you would need to do is have the engines smoke a bit and tug the plane around to different locations on the runways and plane parking area. I would prefer a Mediterranean climate though. I will wait for Travis AF base in California or Hickam Air Field in Hawaii to go on the market. I am choosey when it comes to buying an AF base.

Last edited:
Considering the time period this base operated in, asbestos and lead paint would be a concern. It would be fun to tour around the site though. I imagine there are Civil Defense bunkers and other hidden attractions there.

Being next to the airport might not be as prime of a location as the article says as it pertains to any public development like condos or tourist attracting things. It would be good for commercial/industrial development with that proximity to the airport.

That hospital reminds me of the old Madigan Army Hospital at Fort Lewis but in a smaller size. I guess the military liked sprawling buildings that one could get lost in.

I would love to look around that abandoned base.
I wonder if the buildings are abandoned and deteriorating, like they are (or were) at Rantoul AFB here in Illinois, which was closed a couple years earlier?

19us.jpg

ypmy.jpg

1mnu.jpg

Last edited:
If it wasn't attached to an active airport, it would be cool to change it to a MOUT training place like the Army did to Muscatatuck.

Way too much cancer causing chemicals in the soil and water table to repurpose property.

Back