Forgot and left 30wt oil in tractor over winter

My first car was a 1965 Chevy Corvair with an air cooled six cylinder 164 CID boxer style engine. I usually ran SAE 30 Quaker State API SE oils in that thing. While in college in upstate NY I routinely started it at temperatures below zero F, and sometimes at minus 20 F. I would say to just start the tractor, warm it up or use it and then change the oil.

Has it occurred to you that maybe a 15w-40 or 5w-40 diesel oil might work for you all year round?

I cranked our ztr last weekend and it was about 30 degrees. I think it’s got a 10-30 in it. you could tell it was cold. But. The AGM power sports battery spun that sucker with authority for the full long crank it took to get fuel in and going (it’s probably been 8 weeks since it last ran). I’m pretty convinced the power sports batteries are a better buy than the normal mower battery, for only $15 more. With a solid battery, I’d think yours will start, and after it’s run for a couple minutes, oil will be up to temp.

My first car was a 1965 Chevy Corvair with an air cooled six cylinder 164 CID boxer style engine. I usually ran SAE 30 Quaker State API SE oils in that thing. While in college in upstate NY I routinely started it at temperatures below zero F, and sometimes at minus 20 F. I would say to just start the tractor, warm it up or use it and then change the oil.

Has it occurred to you that maybe a 15w-40 or 5w-40 diesel oil might work for you all year round?
Absolutely agree I wonder the thought gone in using a straight 30 and could be caught in the cold when so many better oils are available and possible better 5w40 solves the issue and many up here in the north run it all the time in OPE or any equipment that specs a 10w30 or straight 30.

Absolutely agree I wonder the thought gone in using a straight 30 and could be caught in the cold when so many better oils are available and possible better 5w40 solves the issue and many up here in the north run it all the time in OPE or any equipment that specs a 10w30 or straight 30.
My JD LX188 specs 30W, 10w30 or 10w40.

I run 5w40 T6 in it year round. Fires up in the cold no problem.

I use M1 0W-40 all year. Solves all potential temp scenarios that my JD X585 tractor encounters.

Last edited:
Back