Forgive Me Father, I Bought a New Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just traded in my almost new (2011 K1500 Silverado with 12k miles) Chevy truck in on a new 2013 one.

I'm the kind of guy that usually buys a new vehicle, maintains it myself, and drives it until it's uneconomically feasible to keep on the road, so getting rid of a low mileage vehicle that I just bought 17 months ago seems like a mortal sin to me.
I saw all the current rebates and discounts available to me right now (about $13k), and realized I could replace my 2011 with an equivalant 2013 for small change. I ended up upgrading the truck and spending a few thousand bucks.
With all the rebates, now wonder GM is going broke.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
what kind of rebates are out there?

Even at Ford, they were offering 10 g's off the sticker on 2012's. This was back in Dec. I can only imagine how much more they are willing to neg. now.

OP, it's ppl like you who are going to bring the US's economy back! and for that I'd like to thank you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
They are preparing for the new trucks coming soon..

Probably.
21.gif

I saw that the W/T and LS still had the 4.3 and I had to laugh a little bit, but the 4.3 coming out is apparently all aluminum and all new. It's still oversquare but to a much lesser degree than it's cast iron predecessor. Allegedly has cylinder deactivation.

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the 3.6 Ram and 3.7 Ford. I'm sure it will win outright in torque production

3k for the truck, 1k GM trade-in, 1k incremental customer cash, .75k USAA, .75k GM bonus cash, 3.5k GM employee allowance. Also about 1.2k for the All Star Package (5.3L engine and 6 speed auto, etc.). Employee discount was about 3k, but I think you could negotiate more than that off of list.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
They are preparing for the new trucks coming soon..

That was one of my considerations. I will never buy another GM within 2 years of introduction, a lesson I learned buying a Chevy Citation the year it was introduced.

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
OP, it's ppl like you who are going to bring the US's economy back! and for that I'd like to thank you
smile.gif

Doesn't anyone wonder how they can take $13K off a truck and still make $$$? What does that say to the poor suckers who paid sticker price? I hate auto companies...

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Just traded in my almost new (2011 K1500 Silverado with 12k miles) Chevy truck in on a new 2013 one.

I'm the kind of guy that usually buys a new vehicle, maintains it myself, and drives it until it's uneconomically feasible to keep on the road, so getting rid of a low mileage vehicle that I just bought 17 months ago seems like a mortal sin to me.
I saw all the current rebates and discounts available to me right now (about $13k), and realized I could replace my 2011 with an equivalant 2013 for small change. I ended up upgrading the truck and spending a few thousand bucks.
With all the rebates, now wonder GM is going broke.

GM thanks you.

Great point!!
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
smile.gif

Doesn't anyone wonder how they can take $13K off a truck and still make $$$? What does that say to the poor suckers who paid sticker price? I hate auto companies...

Congrats on the new rig!

Light-duty pickups have massive profit margins, which is why they can knock off so much and still sell at a profit.

People don't see it. Trucks are the cheapest thing an automaker can make. Take a $12K-to-make truck, MSRP it for 40K, take 15K off it, still laugh all the way to the bank.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

3k for the truck, 1k GM trade-in, 1k incremental customer cash, .75k USAA, .75k GM bonus cash, 3.5k GM employee allowance. Also about 1.2k for the All Star Package (5.3L engine and 6 speed auto, etc.). Employee discount was about 3k, but I think you could negotiate more than that off of list.

Are they giving the employee discount to everyone?

They always seem to give big discounts on the trucks, but on the cars they offer little to nothing. They usually try to push leases.
smirk.gif

smile.gif

GM doesn't have to make a profit on their vehicles. Look at the Volt for example. The American taxpayers will be forced to keep them going no matter what. That being said the do tend to make a pretty good truck and to the OP I hope you like it and it serves you well.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Are they giving the employee discount to everyone?

No, but they've opened it up to a lot more relatives of employees. Aunts, uncles, cousin of a brother that had an uncle (kidding on this last one). I worked for a company that GM owned, then sold, then the buyers spun the employees off to a new LLC.
We've retained GM employee status for vehicle purchases.
It's the first time in a while I could get a better deal as an employee than using other methods, but in this case, it was a lot better.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
[
GM doesn't have to make a profit on their vehicles. Look at the Volt for example. The American taxpayers will be forced to keep them going no matter what. That being said the do tend to make a pretty good truck and to the OP I hope you like it and it serves you well.

And 10 years ago folks were lauding or bashing (depending on point of view) Toyota for the 2nd gen Prius, which at the time was a money-loser for them. Give the Volt a chance before condemning it to the dustbin of history. Some folks thought the personal computer or cell phone was a fad too.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

People don't see it. Trucks are the cheapest thing an automaker can make. Take a $12K-to-make truck, MSRP it for 40K, take 15K off it, still laugh all the way to the bank.

QFT. Trucks are very very high margin for automakers. just because you think you got alot of truck for 40 grand doesnt mean it cost them ANYWHERE that much to build it. You will never know either so just life your life thinking you got a good deal while making that $800 payment for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back