Ford's New Twin-Turbo Police Interceptor>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear a lot of whining about turbos from people at work, and the bottom line is they're coming from a place of ignorance and darkness.

We run a fleet of about 40 5.4L F350s and their durability is frankly amazing. They're all 2004/5s approaching an average of about 60000 miles, but that's completely urban, very long idling, and nothing but stop and go. They are starting to use oil, about 1 qt/1000 miles on 3k OCIs. It used to be 1.5k OCI until the budget tuned sour.

I think for fleets that auction by 80-100k, turbo (and overall) reliability won't be an issue. As long as Ford has figured out how to disapate heat, and I'm pretty sure they have, there's no reason for a turbo to fail. If they're running coolant after-run pumps like Audi, or have other related hardware in the engine bay to manage heat, that's where I would expect to see problems.

Police service tends to abuse the suspension and bodywork more than the drivetrain. Even the [censored] Impalas didn't have engine problems.

It's all speculation no matter what. Period.

The public purchasing agents will choose, and then we will see.

While the EB may be the best thing since sliced bread it still has to prove itself in the real world.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
And I would assume that with the AWD, when one tire is damaged and is unrepairable, that all four tires must then be replaced.

Gee, there's a quick $800 that most municipalities just don't have sitting around.

Its GENIUS! Ford now gets to be paid for replacing and/or servicing Engines, Turbos in engines, CV Joints, and Tires! It goes DEEP, i tell ya! "Yeah, lets just throw away all the Kerry Brown Supercharged CVPIs and CPIs that were just fine." WOW!

Put a PI package on the Impala and it works too..
confused.gif
But really, with the prevalence of "No-chase" policies, i dont get this car.

It probably runs on E85 Ethanol too... Or solar power - ?

What kind of Oil does it use
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

Put a PI package on the Impala and it works too..
confused.gif
But really, with the prevalence of "No-chase" policies, i dont get this car.

It probably runs on E85 Ethanol too... Or solar power - ?

You might be on to something.
lol.gif

Instead of $50K for a Turbo Taurus Police Interceptor, why not just pay $30K for the most base model Fusion Hybrid.
Add another $10,000 to have a local shop spec it up with heavier suspension components lights, computer, and steel wheels. (more money back into the community) Throw in a couple of big capacitors for "pursuit mode" with the electric motor assisting. (Pretty much a moot addition considering the "no pursuit/limited pursuit" policies of many cities.)

You come out $10,000 ahead of the Twin Turbo Taurus, save even more on fuel costs, and cops will soon discover they have a low speed silent "Stealth" mode on the electric motor.

Originally Posted By: westcoaster
Well, being a COP, I can tell you a few things.

Turbo applications don't work for police. We were given a Turbo Volvo for a while and it didn't work. Too much LAG and we don't maintain vehicles enough let alone with Turbo. Get if fixed, get it fast and get it cheap. With all that stop, go and hard driving, we'll burn those turbo's in no time.

Even though the 4.6 was underpowered for the current Vic, it is bulletproof. Reliable and tough, needed about 60 more horse's to do the trick, but those cars start all the time and you can absolutely pound the [censored] out of them. And they will run on anything. Cheap oil and cheap gas, not premium fuel for turbo's and synthetic.

As per synthetic oil in our cruisers, good luck. Your lucky if we change the cheap bulk in them every 10,000 Km's. I think that you will see a lot of agencies going with the rear wheel drive Caprice. Normally aspirated is better suited for police/taxi applications.

And cabbies, who buy the most our our used cars anyway wont touch a used and abused turbo. But they will buy an abused V-8.

What about a turbo diesel? I know Carbon Motors is working on a purpose built interceptor using the BMW M57TU2 (used in 335d and X5d).

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: westcoaster
Well, being a COP, I can tell you a few things.

Turbo applications don't work for police. We were given a Turbo Volvo for a while and it didn't work. Too much LAG and we don't maintain vehicles enough let alone with Turbo. Get if fixed, get it fast and get it cheap. With all that stop, go and hard driving, we'll burn those turbo's in no time.

Even though the 4.6 was underpowered for the current Vic, it is bulletproof. Reliable and tough, needed about 60 more horse's to do the trick, but those cars start all the time and you can absolutely pound the [censored] out of them. And they will run on anything. Cheap oil and cheap gas, not premium fuel for turbo's and synthetic.

As per synthetic oil in our cruisers, good luck. Your lucky if we change the cheap bulk in them every 10,000 Km's. I think that you will see a lot of agencies going with the rear wheel drive Caprice. Normally aspirated is better suited for police/taxi applications.

And cabbies, who buy the most our our used cars anyway wont touch a used and abused turbo. But they will buy an abused V-8.

What about a turbo diesel? I know Carbon Motors is working on a purpose built interceptor using the BMW M57TU2 (used in 335d and X5d).

In Italy, Police on the Autostrada (Speed limit is 94mph, "Loosely enforced".. Maybe if you are doing 160MPH and they need money they will ticket you) keep Lamborghini Gallardo police cars. They dont need ANY kind of Turbo... though dont give Lamborghini any ideas
wink.gif

Beats those old Merkurs, Lancias, and Opels, Vauxhalls, etc they cruise on the Highway (Autobahn) doesnt it
thumbsup2.gif

And NO this is not a remote control car, which i thought it was at first glance. They make the too cleean...
lambo-police-00.jpg

http://hypebeast.com/2008/10/lamborghini-gallardo-lp560-4-italian-police-car/
Yes, thats an LP 560-4 (All wheel drive.. Go fig.)
NO it doesnt have Turbos
and NO ITS NOT GOING TO BE DRIVEN OVER CURBS.

I was IN a cop car, three of us crammed in te back, and the cops drove it over curbs in a way that made me realize, a certain large city in NJ cares NOT what happens to its cars. Not a care in the world.. Full Government Paycheck Mentality. I was more worried about this mentality than the handcuffs on me.

Cool car, but as many others have stated RWD would be a better way to go. Would make a terrific, fun car for civilian use but the old Vic is still the best choice for police duty. If it aint broke, WHY FIX IT!?!?!? Only time will tell how they hold up though, we'll have to wait and see.

Never owned one (Crown Vic/Marquis), but known folks well that have owned them long term and they are absolute tanks. A few MPG worse than the latest cars/engines of similar size and power but not bad at all. The kind of car you can expect to still be driving in 20 years if you maintain it 100%. I dont think we can say the same of the vast majority of the newest vehicles.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
I hear a lot of whining about turbos from people at work, and the bottom line is they're coming from a place of ignorance and darkness.
If they're running coolant after-run pumps like Audi, or have other related hardware in the engine bay to manage heat, that's where I would expect to see problems.

Maybe those "whiners" actually had a V6 Twin turbo Audi (S4 B5 series) those turbos were oil and water plumbed WITH an after run pump and the B5 S4 shed turbos faster than wiper blades!!!
Audi is NOT a good example of a Proper engineered twin turbo V6.

Last edited:
I agree, this kind of engine is not going to last in a law enforcement roll. Plus, ford is never going to sell it at the level typically associated with bulk police fleet purchases.

For it's intended role the EB 3.5 will be fine. Remember this is just the Interceptor offering. For more typical cruiser roles the NA V6 will be the choice of most departments.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
FWD,yuck! RWD is the only way to go.

Have you ever driven in snow?

Uh, yeah. And while FWD might be more "stable" it is A LOT scarier. Constant understeer, inferior weight distribution, and a rear end that is just waiting to beat the front end in a turn.

I'll take my RWD with snow tires here in MN any day.

That's funny. That Lambo was donated to the police. No way you gonna have a fleet of those things. They are just PR cars, no way those things see actual service.

I also don't know the pricing for it, but no agency is gonna fork over 25K for a car. The current CVPI came in at just over 21K, with the Charger being the most expensive at just over 25K.

The 3.5 Turbo looks good on paper, but police duty is charactarized as beyond severe service, and there is no way that Turbos can handle that. Even in Europe, where Police Vehicles are smaller with smaller displacement engincs are NA engines utilized.

Thats why the 4.6 was so venerable. Some OCI's that I have seen were in excess of 20000k's. Checking the dipstick that oil was tar. A turbo at that point would have turned it's last RPM. Police Vehicles are barely serviced as they are now, let alone the meticulous service that a turbo requires.

I am not sure if the Tauras has passed the Michigin State Police Trials, but I can see the Tauras used as a good undercover car, but in general service or highway patrols units, no way.

I beleive that we will see the gradual appearance of more Chargers and Caprice's. Too bad thought, those Fords were a great Police Platform.

If I had my choice, I would take the Caprice. The Charger has shown really good numbers out of Michigin, but It has been reported that the Hemi has had a a few reliabiliy issues. The 6.0 GM is showing good performance numbers as well, and if it is anything like the 5.3, that engine is used exclusively in the Tahoe Police Package, thats gonna be the winner. Good power and reliabiliy and MDS which saves fuel when idiling. We had a Tahoe go 26000 km's between OCI's. The freaking repair shop called and asked if the vehicle was written off in a crash, hahahah. The poor 3.5 EB would have been running NA as the turbo would have been shot by that point.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster

Uh, yeah. And while FWD might be more "stable" it is A LOT scarier. Constant understeer, inferior weight distribution, and a rear end that is just waiting to beat the front end in a turn.

I'll take my RWD with snow tires here in MN any day.

My Mustang LX 5.0 and Dodge Shelby Daytona were roughly the same size. (Mustang = 100 in wheelbase 179 in length /Daytona =97 in wheelbase 175 length)
Guess which one could actually be driven in the ice? It's not the Mustang.

And I went to college up north. I know how to drive in the snow. I'm talking about ice.

I agree, even in snow, RWD is much better than FWD. It's a bit harder to get FWD stuck, but the handling difference is night and day as long as you're moving. Understeer is bad.

Spazdog - a Mustang 5.0 LX has now weight at all in the rear, so of course it's terrible in the snow. Most newer RWD cars are much closer to 50/50 weight balance, and correspondingly better in the snow (with snow tires).

As a highway patrol, as long as they take care of it, the power from that engine would be great when pulling into traffic from a stop. In town, it's overkill for places with a no-chase policy.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
As a highway patrol, as long as they take care of it, the power from that engine would be great when pulling into traffic from a stop. In town, it's overkill for places with a no-chase policy.

Its always amazed me how the State Police dont KILL people, with the way they hide right up against (rear bumper touching) the Brick overpasses, right around Exit 131 on the Garden State Parkway in NJ and other places, like around Clark on the GS Parkway. There is NO Visibility. NONE!

We never talked about what Oil this engine wil use. Im still thinking E85 Ethanol., batteries, electric generators, and Solar panels are employed here. Its a Hybrid, this Twin Turbo, right?
lol.gif

If Tonka donates parts.................. Im snapping pictures at it, whoever is sitting in the car all day, wasting gas whilst idling and calling it "conserving resources."

Originally Posted By: ULVER
"The Police Car Wars" are definately back! Maybe not like in the 60's/70's where there were a gazillion choices, but back at least among the "Big Three." Well, there IS Carbon:
http://www.carbonmotors.com/

Crysler is playing hardball for sure...
http://www.hendonpub.com/publications/ar...atured+Articles

And so is Chevy:
http://www.hendonpub.com/publications/ar...atured+Articles

Id Chrysler and Chevy player hardball, Chevy would win. Only the Dodge Ram is a small saving grace for Chrysler, now Fiat.

I still wanna know what Oil goes in the Interceptor Taurus LOL, and how police pull into 75MPH traffic froma blind spot and dont kill both drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back