Ford's Namesake Brand Tumbles

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with anything, no two cars are the same. You can ask 2 Ford Owners about the same car and both can either agree that its good, agree that its bad or agree to disagree. Same goes with any other brand. It's the luck of the draw with anything.

Originally Posted By: Anies
As with anything, no two cars are the same. You can ask 2 Ford Owners about the same car and both can either agree that its good, agree that its bad or agree to disagree. Same goes with any other brand. It's the luck of the draw with anything.

/agree

This is honestly the most alarming thing in that whole survey. Nothing else was really that shocking to me, to be completely honest. That's about in line with what I expected.

" Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co.’s Volvo ranked 10th."

A chinese owned car company ranked 10th? What is the world coming to.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
This is honestly the most alarming thing in that whole survey. Nothing else was really that shocking to me, to be completely honest. That's about in line with what I expected.

The fact that they've had nothing to do with Volvo so far.

Originally Posted By: cchase

It's the idea of the thing though.

Every automaker has its issues but Ford has to get a handle on that dual clutch automatic it's using in the new Focus and Fiesta...too many shifting problems and outright failures...at low miles. The automatic Fiesta I test drove a few months ago (I was curious) wouldn't shift out of first at a stoplight...had to stop the car and restart it to "reset" the transmission. I smell a design or software problem here. Ford obviously didn't shake out this transmission enough before offering it in those models. There are a lot of TSB's for it and Ford claims that most of the serious problems have been resolved. I really like those cars and would consider one with a manual tranny until the kinks are worked out of the automatic.

Yes Consumer Reports said from their results:

“Ford took a big drop with their new cars,” Champion said in a telephone interview before the study was released. “They have been on a roll over the past five years. They need to get a handle on some of their new technologies.”

No biggie. Just stinks to be that new car owner with a first year Focus, Fiesta, Explorer etc.

The MyFordTouch software issues may be accounting for the drop in rankings but the dual clutch automatics are still c*ap...the complaints are endless (most of the reviews I've read on the cars complain about the rough operation of them even when they're operting "as designed"). Ford has done a great job of leapfrogging it's competition in design and technology over the last few years and it's paid off...I wouldn't hesitate to own one...just not one with that particular transmission (or the MyFordTouch).

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The drop in rankings is solely because of the MyFordTouch software issues.
Transmission problems were also cited in the article.

Originally Posted By: Consumer Reports
For Ford, the chief complaints were related to the company’s MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch audio, entertainment and navigation systems and a new fuel-saving transmission

And Ford has been trying lots of new stuff...

Giving them credit for that....

Originally Posted By: cchase

It's the idea of the thing though.

I remember well the first Honda car I saw (I'm 67 years old) it gave me quite a laugh. And the first Hyundai ... you get the picture.

Nope. Try again, Sparky...

Quote:
For Ford, the chief complaints were related to the company’s MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch audio, entertainment and navigation systems and a new fuel-saving transmission, Champion said. Malfunctioning touch screens had led to a plunge in Ford’s ranking in J.D. Power & Associates study of new-car quality earlier this year.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Nope. Try again, Sparky...

Why would I need to try again when I had it right the first time?

MFT issues are what has dropped Ford's overall quality rankings, as the system is in widespread use covering several model lines. The Powershift transmission drivability foibles in and of themselves aren't enough to significantly impact Ford's overall standing.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
CR is all OPINION! No facts are involved at all.

Reliability ratings/brand rankings cited in the article by Consumer Reports are based on customer reported surveys of problems in the recent model year models.

Its not made up data. The data is likely pretty accurate since its based subscriber data and recent models go back to the dealer. I think their surveys as models age is not quite as accurate.

A new vehicle should not be returning to dealer. They catch the trend and report the data.

On a side note Jeep is currently rated 13 and best domestic brand. Ford fell from 10 last year to 20.

Their ratings are quite accurate on my wife's 2005 Legacy turbo and based on what I see in Subaru forums. Not our personal experience but they list it as a used car to avoid.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: dishdude
CR is all OPINION! No facts are involved at all.

Reliability ratings/brand rankings cited in the article by Consumer Reports are based on customer reported surveys of problems in the recent model year models.

Its not made up data. The data is likely pretty accurate since its based subscriber data and recent models go back to the dealer. I think their surveys as models age is not quite as accurate.

My biggest gripe with CR data is that none of it is verified. They don't verify that the person filling out the survey really owns the car. I am pretty sure there are people filling out these surveys dishonestly to either boost a car maker or to hurt them. With the other surveys, such as JD Powers, you know the car owner is for real.

I have lost all faith in Consumer Reports testing cars. I like how when a car model sold under 2 different brands...like the Toyota Matrix will get high ratings but the same car under the Pontiac name gets low ratings....many examples of this nonsense. Even their car wax test was a joke. I am a subscriber but will not be renewing. If you want a consumer magazine that knows something about cars read Consumer Guide. They offer more data, better reviews and are less biased.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back