Ford's blowing spark plug problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy I tell you, the more horror stories I read about this subject, the more I'm even scared to drive my truck. Now, I listen to every little sound. Heck, most of the time I don't even drive with the radio on just so to listen to the engine. Lord, help me. My question and I really hope this ain't stupid, but the basic problem with barfing plugs, from what I'm gathering and researching, is the rates of metal expansion. Since the heads are aluminum and the spark plugs steel, the aluminum heads will expand quicker than steel spark plugs, right? Then that gives a little room for the spark plug to move until it reaches its' limit of expansion. That room, gives it enought space to "wiggle." Over time, that wiggle will become pronounced enough as to leaving the threads on the head looser and then the plug blows out. Do the steel inserts, not the helicoil, but the bigserts, really work? Can any cylinder plug be fixed by this method with out removing the heads??? OK, I guess letting the engine slowly warm up would be really beneficial in this case, agreed? Why doesn't Ford or other sparkplug manufacturers offer a aluminum spark plug? Will that not work since aluminum is a poor conductor of electricity? Another problem is over torque. If you over torque, the steel threads literally eat through the aluminum threads. Almost as bad as not tightening enough. Even Ford can't give you an exact torque numbers. It's something in the pounds/inches category. Anyway, thoughts???

[ January 14, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

Never heard of plugs blowing out unless the threads were stripped, usually do to overtorqueing.

Most plug torque averages around 12 lb.ft.

This is a well known problem for the modular engines actually. Mainly the 5.4 and 6.8. I don't remember exactly what does this but something guides/channels water and allows it to drip right onto the head near the plug. Maybe it comes from the AC evaporater? Anyway, this causes corrosion around the plug. Add to that the galvanic corrosion (corrosion between two dis-similar metals) and the plug blows out under a high load condition.

The remedy? Change plugs earlier than the recommended 100k interval.

If you have the V-10 be ready for a real pain in the butt!

Mikie

I have seen plugs come out but I also thought it was because they were stripped either coming out or going in.

Now I have something else to worry about.

Aren't the plugs a pain to get to on the modular engines? The fuel injection rails appear to be in the way.

Honestly a bunch of overblown hysteria.

The actual numbers of vehicles really blowing plugs is very minor. Not zero, but isn't every truck either.

If I believed everything I read on the internet, there isn't a car made that I would actually drive.

I was supposed to worry about leaking head gaskets, piston slap, blowing spark plugs, malfuntioning transmissions, non curable rough idling, malfuntioning egr valves and sensors, leaking heater core hoses, ball joints that wouldn't last 50,000 miles, constant pinging, etc.., etc...

Instead I've owned two F150's with over 250,000 trouble free miles with absolutely NONE of the issues mentioned above, not to mention all the other people I know who have F150's. The only two problems they've run into was Piston Slap (two of them I know of have over 200,000 miles, slapping away) and bad EGR sensors, replaced by Ford.

Relax.

The PI heads introduced in either 99 or 2000 has less threads for the spark plugs than the previous design. As mentioned before it only pertains to the 5.4L and 6.8L. And as Schmoe mentioned, the plug loosens and blows out. This was corrected in 2002 as far as I know.

My F150 with the 4.2L V6 has been reliable and a good performer. Any full size 4x4 that averages 17 mpg, isn't to bad in my opinion. But I have had the issues with the EGR system (that d@mn DPFE sensor is really sensative!), and with the rough idle, and the constant pinging. Besides the engine, I think this is the best truck I've ever driven.

Spark plugs on the 4.6 and 5.4 engines are a PAIN in the gluteous maximus. They have individual coil packs on top of each plug, as there is no distributor or plug wires that we, as least us old school guys, are used to. Yes, you have to remove the fuel rail and some other parts, like the power steering bracket. The problem is putting them back in. They have to be torqued EXACTLY to specs or they will be too loose or strip the head threads and eventually blow out. There are some diy pages over at f150online.com and fordf150.net that give you instructions. These guys are Ford technicians and it takes them about 3 hours to do it. You need some extensions and a special spark plug socket that Snap on sells for 58 bucks. Just look at the ones in the back and you'll notice that you don't have very much room to work in. The plugs on the passenger side rear, 3 and 4, are the ones that are typically failing. If you have a 97, 98 or 99 Expy with dual climate controls, watch the condensation. The AC line runs right over the top of those plugs and water gets down in them. Over time, the aluminum will corrode away. Especially if you do short trips. Appearently, those that are driven alot get the engine hot enough and long enough that the water is burned off.
MNgopher, I HEAR YOU! I wish I could relax. This is my first Ford and it was my Dad's before he passed away and I'm trying to keep it all together, but this stuff makes me worry. The only real recognizable "fix" from Ford is to replace the heads at around 3000 dollars if your out of warranty. BUT, they just put on newer heads with the same design flaw. Doesn't make sense.

[ January 15, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

The V-10 has the same proplem....but the fixes for all that I have seen (well, maybe not a fix but a preventive measure) is to insulate the AC lines and route a drain tube for the evaporater run-off.

You think it's hard to get to the plugs on a V-8? Try it on the V-10!!! UGH!!!!!!
banghead.gif

Mikie

'97-'99 F150's with the 4.6 did not get the coil on plug design. They still have the old fashioned spark plug wires and coilpacks mounted up on the front end of the engine.

'00 and up 4.6 V8's got COP. 5.4's have always been COP.

Really, there are some folks who have had this problem, but the odds are quite remote!
smile.gif

I think the point is being missed.

How many plugs have you heard of shooting out of a Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda etc etc etc? I've never heard of it at all.

The fact that there aren't that many shooting out in the first place should not be the comforting factor. This should be alarming!! Ford save a buck or two and makes the chamber wall thicknessa few mils thinner and we have to suffer with propulsive plugs.

This shouldn't be something that we have to take care of. Ford should have recalled all heads once this started happening.

All praise the almighty dollar!!
worshippy.gif
**** corporations.

Mikie

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Spark plugs on the 4.6 and 5.4 engines are a PAIN in the gluteous maximus... These guys are Ford technicians and it takes them about 3 hours to do it... You need some extensions and a special spark plug socket that Snap on sells for 58 bucks.

**** IT! What genius designed this? That's horrible!!!

i was looking at my stepdads truck once just pondering how long it might take to change the plugs. i told him i wouldnt be able to do it for him and he should take it to the dealer.
any cant ford design coil pack ignitions like import cars?
make it dohc, easy to work on, all aluminum, and last a long time.

Well, unfortunatly, i am 1 of the few that have blown a plug out of the head. Local dealer couldnt tell me why it happened. Luckily it was covered under my extended warrenty

I have a 2003 Ford Lightning and in my truck they have a new head, they changed the design in 2003 to fix the problem.

For those who don't know it has the super charged 5.4, there are many discussions in lightning forums about this topic and there are a many people with lightnings that this has occured, it might just be more common in the lightning but it does happen and pulls threads and all out of the head.

quote:

Originally posted by Stooge:
Boy I'm glad I've got a Toyota V8 with those two cams, wide and open valve cover, and dead-easy-to change spark plugs!

for a Lexus, you need to remove the intake duct, and 2 covers. The driver's side cover, the one that says V8 FOUR CAM 32 is a bit of a trick to put back on, as the coil wire needs to snake out of there.

quote:

Originally posted by Weatherlite:
You think it's hard to get to the plugs on a V-8? Try it on the V-10!!!

I never was able to reach the #10 plug on mine. It's so far under the cowl, and there are hoses and other things that prevent me from getting my hands, or even one hand, in there.

I had one plug blow out on mine, and I do believe it was caused by the more by condensation dripping on it than due to stripped threads, or the lack of enough threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back