Ford's back and forth with approved and where we stand now. Specifically the 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I see that many past popular oils are still not approved by Ford for use in their vehicles, specifically their 6.0 motor. What's the general consensus on what to use? Should I just use Delvac, Valvoline, M1 etc off the shelf and don't worry?

Ford say's we'll kill our engine but the oil manufactures are touting less wear.... What gives?

Last edited:
The 6.0 is a Navistar engine. Navistar did not make an issue like Ford did. You can go on Navistar's recommendation.

Use any of the major brands 10W30 in your 6.0 and don't sweat it. I've used Rotella mostly in mine without a single issue whatsoever. All original and never pulled a valve cover. Right now I have Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 in it but dislike it even in the Florida heat. Rough starts and just seems like its "sluggish" all the time. Never had that issue with 10W30 in the sump.

PQIA just recently tested bunches of the CK-4 oil. If you look at the ZDDP levels, some are low like Chevron Delo and Mobil Delvac for example.

Do you have a link to that? But do we need zddp, or does something else take place of it

What's a good range of zddp

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NH73
The 6.0 is a Navistar engine. Navistar did not make an issue like Ford did. You can go on Navistar's recommendation.

What is that? I haven't seen that, only Ford's list

Originally Posted by NattyBoh
Do you have a link to that? But do we need zddp, or does something else take place of it

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Scroll down the home page, and you can see all the CK4 oils that have been recently tested. Motorcraft Superduty15W-40 was tested too.

Originally Posted by BigD1

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Scroll down the home page, and you can see all the CK4 oils that have been recently tested. Motorcraft Superduty15W-40 was tested too.

Nice thanks for the link. Looks like premium blue extreme 5w40 is good to go. Has a higher zinc content too it seems.

I ran over 250K on an ‘04 6.0 PSD on the original turbo, until the tranny lost reverse & the company got rid of it. Engine had a lot of issues, NONE of them related to the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 I ran in it, changed every 5K.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I ran over 250K on an ‘04 6.0 PSD on the original turbo, until the tranny lost reverse & the company got rid of it. Engine had a lot of issues, NONE of them related to the Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 I ran in it, changed every 5K.

Sounds identical to my buddy's experience with Delvac 1 5w-40 (recommended by Doug Hillary at the time). Kept the engine really clean as well.

Man, that Traveller oil from Tractor supply is looking pretty darn good for a cheap(er) oil!

2,337 calcium
1,181 ZDDP
1,010 Phosp.

and a nice shot of Moly!!

Found my next oil for the 6.0!

International Navistar. http://www.navistar.com/navistar/. Ever hear of them? Navistar is ok with the CK-4 recommendation.

International Navistar. http://www.navistar.com/navistar/. Ever hear of them? Navistar is ok with the CK-4 recommendation.

Sorry, whati meant was that I didn't hear of their list, assuming they had one similar to Ford's. I do know of Navistar for sure!

Since there is not a single 6.0L PSD out there that's under a Ford OEM warranty at this point, and I seriously doubt Ford has 6.0L and 7.3L PSDs sitting around that they are pining to test lubes one, this topic is moot.

What does the wear data tell us? I've seen really good UOAs with CK-4 in the 6.0L engines; just as good as CJ-4 results.

What does Ford's manual say about these?

10w30 or 15w40? Genuinely curious. People here seem to run both interchangeably.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Since there is not a single 6.0L PSD out there that's under a Ford OEM warranty at this point, and I seriously doubt Ford has 6.0L and 7.3L PSDs sitting around that they are pining to test lubes one, this topic is moot.

What does the wear data tell us? I've seen really good UOAs with CK-4 in the 6.0L engines; just as good as CJ-4 results.

This si true, but Im having a hard time finding many 6.0 UOAs in the forum... do you think any ( T6, TDT, VPBE, Delvac ) would work just fine? Id assume you'd say yes, as many syns arent even needed. I guess I should say which has a better additive pack?

Go look up some of them from roadrunner1; he ran dino Deere 10w-30 and got stellar results.
Also, while not posted here, my neighbor ran Rotella 10w-30 dino in his 6.0L and got great data as well.
You cannot go wrong with 10w-30 dino given normal OCIs and the moderate temps you see in MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back