Ford's 2.7 Liter Twin Turbo V6 ... Wow !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2.7 has the goods when you need it. I was pulling our 4,000lb (dry) camper last month up a mountain road - one of those with a 25mph limit, with a full load of fresh water in the tanks. At that incline and load it's all about boost (with its lag) and modulating the throttle to match takes some learning. At one point I stabbed too deeply and the rear end spun out while climbing around 20 mph. I've never experienced that before in other tow vehicles.

I don't like sport mode. Too touchy, unrefined, too eager to keep revs up and too eager to shift, it's difficult to control, no finesse at all. For daily driving I'm in eco mode 100% of the time and average 21.5 mpg overall.

Originally Posted by Dave9
^
Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by atikovi
Only time will tell how these small displacement high output engines do in a heavy vehicle. Seems highly stressed but I'm no engineer so don't know how beefed up the internals are.

We already know. People pile on the miles on work trucks, and there are more than a few with very high miles. There are a few 2.7L F150's over 200K miles without trouble and a good number of 3.5L ecoboosts with near 400K miles. The common theme seems to be good maintenance expensive repairs

Fixed that for you.

Let's not pretend the 3.5L with its internal water pump is a long lasting design from the two facts that practically nobody checks their oil for coolant contamination before every drive, and nobody wants to shell out over $1K to do a mere water pump if they're lucky enough to catch it when it fails rather than engine damage symptoms cropping up.

The truck 3.5L engines sit (longitudinally) within a large bay and have traditional external water pumps (both the Ecoboost and the naturally aspirated versions). The cars with the 3.5 do have internal water pumps that may or may not have a short life. Unfortunately it's an expensive repair and for those who don't ever look under the hood... it can become much more trouble. My understanding is that it can cost $1400-$1800 to replace the internal pump.

Internal pump on a 3.5 Taurus is supposedly a 10-hour job per what I've read on the Taurus car club site. When they go they leak coolant into the oil not a good thing

My previous 2012 Mazda CX-9 had a Ford 3.5 with internal pump...truck 3.5 doesn't have same setup from my understanding. One of the reasons I got rid of it.

2.7 is pretty stout for a little motor. In my 17 Continental FWD from a standing start when it hits 30 mph and the Boost fully kicks in it will spin and squeal the front tires and cause the traction control to kick in. I'm impressed that little motor will do that in that big boat.

Originally Posted by meep
The 2.7 has the goods when you need it. I was pulling our 4,000lb (dry) camper last month up a mountain road - one of those with a 25mph limit, with a full load of fresh water in the tanks. At that incline and load it's all about boost (with its lag) and modulating the throttle to match takes some learning. At one point I stabbed too deeply and the rear end spun out while climbing around 20 mph. I've never experienced that before in other tow vehicles.

I don't like sport mode. Too touchy, unrefined, too eager to keep revs up and too eager to shift, it's difficult to control, no finesse at all. For daily driving I'm in eco mode 100% of the time and average 21.5 mpg overall.

Back when the 2.7L was a new option, TFL Truck did their "Ike Gauntlet" run with one of the early versions. As I recall, they too, spun a tire with a loaded trailer while accelerating to merge onto the interstate. Really neat little engine. I'm pretty sure it would be my choice if I were to buy a new truck.

Originally Posted by repairman54
2.7 is pretty stout for a little motor. In my 17 Continental FWD from a standing start when it hits 30 mph and the Boost fully kicks in it will spin and squeal the front tires and cause the traction control to kick in. I'm impressed that little motor will do that in that big boat.

Driving a Lincoln MKZ with the 2.0 Ecoboost,it would spin the front wheels shifting into 2nd gear!

Like my Sport. When I put it down it goes quickly. Pretty happy how it moves a 4500lb. vehicle. My long term MPG is only 20mpg in our suburban jungle, and I think that number should be better.

Only time will tell how these small displacement high output engines do in a heavy vehicle. Seems highly stressed but I'm no engineer so don't know how beefed up the internals are.

Doesn't take an engineer to figure out that adding complexity and reducing displacement while increasing output or keeping it the same equals poorer relative long-term reliability.

That said, many consumers won't notice, because they won't keep them long enough to start seeing big-ticket item failures.

I like the idea of Ford's new big pushrod V8 for a long-termer.

My thought with the 2.7L EB V6 is that it's basically built like a diesel V6 with a CGI block, forged internals and probably was intended to be used as a diesel. It seems overbuilt compared to the 3.5EB. I haven't driven one or been a passenger in a F150 that uses it. I've been seeing more F150 work trucks in the city with the Ecoboost badge on them. It looks like fleet buyers are slowly warming up to them.

There were billions of miles put on the venerable 5.4L - time will tell if these ecoboost and TT engines will go that far!!

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Valid concern. One thing the 2.7 has going for it is the upper block is made of compacted graphite iron, a tougher form of cast iron in every way, while being slightly lighter than conventional iron. Cummins is using compacted graphite iron for the block in it's new 6.7 liter six cylinder that is rated at up to 1000 lb-ft torque, so the stuff is tough. The turbos themselves are integrated into the liquid cooled exhaust manifolds. The oil pan, however, is made of composite (high tech plastic), as is the drain plug. We'll see how that goes, I guess. There's been some problems reported with seepage at the pan-to-block seal. The truck comes with a huge diaper attached at bottom of pan and around it, so one would seem to wonder if Ford feels seepage in that location is a "feature." Haven't checked mine yet. Suppose I will see at oil change time.

Yeah its all the other parts that are not the same quality, like any sintered parts, and plastic like you mentioned and other corner cutting things done.

Originally Posted by repairman54
Internal pump on a 3.5 Taurus is supposedly a 10-hour job per what I've read on the Taurus car club site. When they go they leak coolant into the oil not a good thing

Just proves engineering has gone down the tube. The old timer engineers would never design a water pump that would allow that.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I've spent close to a month now with the new F-150 and I am just impressed with the engine and transmission combo and how it performs in this 5000 lb truck. First off, it's efficient. The avg mpg readout, if it's to be trusted, won't drop below 20 mpg for around town stop and go driving. And the engine just loves to pull. The 10-speed transmission's initial clunkiness has gone away with adaptive learning. Shifts both up and down, light throttle and firm, are nice. It's eager enough in normal mode but with the shifter in sport mod, look out. It goes. All this on 87 regular. They got it right with this combo.

I am so glad I chose to expand my truck search beyond the mid size's, Colorado/Canyon, New Ranger, Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma. F-150 is better in every way.

Wonder how this responds to a tune like the Omega from Oz.

Love it in my 2013 5.0 SCrew.
Darn heavy right foot.

This far from new tech. It's pretty dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back