Ford ZF manuals shifting worse after Amsoil synthetic fluid change. Suggestions?

Here’s an example of a Dex Merc product.

356A0F11-46E6-44D5-9F63-C292575274BE.jpg

I'd use what worked before, that will rule out if the fluid is the problem or not if things improve. If not something might be going on with the transmission in question.

What about resetting the shifting adaptive values.....
Dealer did this for us after we switched out santa fe to maxlife.
Shifting was OK before....but after the reset it was even better.

This has me interested because I'm working on a truck with a ZF-5 and I had intended to put Amsoil in it. Most guys on the Ford diesel forums prefer synthetic in their ZF transmissions.

I'm not an expert but I would think for the shift quality to be worse either the viscosity is different or maybe the fluid is causing the syncros to not mesh as easily? Does the trans shift any better when warm?

Also brings up the question as to whats the difference between all the fluids. If Mercon was originally speced than whats the difference between it and Mercon V? Also how does Amsoil compare to Mercon and Mercon V? And whats the difference between Amsoil signature series ATF and Torque Drive?

Also brings up the question as to whats the difference between all the fluids. If Mercon was originally speced than whats the difference between it and Mercon V? Also how does Amsoil compare to Mercon and Mercon V? And whats the difference between Amsoil signature series ATF and Torque Drive?
According to the Amsoil PDFs (Technical Specification), which are available on line, the main difference is in the viscosities; the ATL is about 6.3 cST, the ATF is about 7.5 cSt, and the Torque-Drive is about 7.6 cSt.

However, I would surmise that the Torque-Drive contains enhanced chemistry for HD AT transmissions.

However, I still cannot see any rational reasons why the Amsoil product would produce any performance differences, assuming the transmission actually requires an ATF.

Back