Ford WSS-M2C937-A > Ford WSS-M2C946-A ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

Just picked up a new 2017 Expedition with Ecoboost and it calls for Ford WSS-M2C946-A, which seems to be 5w-30 only. I want to run 0w-40 but it seems none of them carry that cert so I was curious if I would be superseding the 5w-30 cert with WSS-M2C937-A? I have looked all over and can't find anything on it. I run 0w-40 in my BMW 335 (twin turbo) and it does great so I would like to stick with it in this engine too but don't want any warranty issues. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, M2C946A uses ILSAC GF-5 as a baseline, which means it has an energy conserving component. A Euro 0w-40 high HT/HS oil, such as the one you run in your 335i, is not going to be energy conserving.

I'd probably stick to the approved M2C946A oil just to CYA during warranty period.

Go with Castrol Magnatec 5w30... Carries the 946a Ford specification. Plus it's the best performing oil in these Ecoboost motors as evidenced by numerous very good UOAs from those motors.

Last edited:
Quattropete, Thanks, I agree with the CYA part
smile.gif
I'm not concerned about the "energy saving", I'm sure it's minimal.

BB, I was leaning towards Magnatec as well, I guess I'll go with that.

I will be posting UOA's starting at about 1000 miles or so when I change out the factory fill. I was going to stick with Motorcraft 5w-30 blend for the first 5-10k miles for break-in but I doubt it will make a difference; especially since I plan on beating the snot out of it this summer towing the camper etc. Should seat the rings nicely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'll wager the rings are seated now.

More than likely, 106 miles. I've never been one to "break-in" an engine, especially on newer engines. I just drive them the way I drive, "spirited" but not abusive. I'm sure they seat fairly quickly.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Go with Castrol Magnatec 5w30... Carries the 946a Ford specification. Plus it's the best performing oil in these Ecoboost motors as evidenced by numerous very good UOAs from those motors.

Yep, what BBHero said, I would go the Castrol Magnatec 5W30, it's an oil that always seems to produce good UOA's.

One is 5w30 the other is 5w20, typically. Beware the effect this will take on your warranty however...

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
One is 5w30 the other is 5w20, typically. Beware the effect this will take on your warranty however...

WSS-M2C945-A is 5w-20

Is there an effect? I've never seen in any of my owner's manuals any kind of warning that using another oil other than the one specified (even when only one is listed) will void my warranty. I've seen this comment here before but does anyone know if really would do that? I don't think it would, based on what I've (not) seen.

you're going from a 5w30 recommendation to a 0w40. The Moss Warranty Act states that they have to PROVE that the component failed because of something you did outside of the recommended factory service guidelines, or that the addition of an aftermarket part caused a failure. Personally, I follow the service schedule to the period and only use OE or OEM parts until that warranty is up. Probably nothing will happen, but I have seen cars get denied when the viscosity of an oil is outside the service guidelines.

Last edited:
you're going from a 5w30 recommendation to a 0w40. The Moss Warranty Act states that they have to PROVE that the component failed because of something you did outside of the recommended factory service guidelines, or that the addition of an aftermarket part caused a failure. Personally, I follow the service schedule to the period and only use OE or OEM parts until that warranty is up. Probably nothing will happen, but I have seen cars get denied when the viscosity of an oil is outside the service guidelines.

So the entity denying the warranty claim actually checked the viscosity and determined it was outside what the manual specified?

What were the specifics?

Engine came in with rod knock. A sample was poured and analyzed to see what else, other than the lead in the bearings was in the oil. Test came back and the lab had made the observation that the oil was in the range of a 40wt when 20 was specified. Service Manager asked the customer, they admitted to using a thicker oil, bam, warranty voided.

I ended up going with Edge 5w-30. It was actually quite a lot cheaper than Magnatec on Amazon at time of ordering. I will post a UOA of it in about 6 months.

Last edited:
Engine came in with rod knock. A sample was poured and analyzed to see what else, other than the lead in the bearings was in the oil. Test came back and the lab had made the observation that the oil was in the range of a 40wt when 20 was specified. Service Manager asked the customer, they admitted to using a thicker oil, bam, warranty voided.

I'm not a lawyer but that situation would seem to me to be a good candidate for a lawsuit. For the life of me I cannot see how a dealer would claim a warranty violation for wrong grade, especially for one that is heavier than recommended. I have never seen an owner's manual that explicitly stated that the warranty would be voided if an oil grade other than what is recommended is used.

One would think that in order to deny a warranty claim they would have to prove the heavier grade was the cause of the failure. That would not be possible in this instance.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I'm not a lawyer but that situation would seem to me to be a good candidate for a lawsuit. For the life of me I cannot see how a dealer would claim a warranty violation for wrong grade, especially for one that is heavier than recommended. I have never seen an owner's manual that explicitly stated that the warranty would be voided if an oil grade other than what is recommended is used.

One would think that in order to deny a warranty claim they would have to prove the heavier grade was the cause of the failure. That would not be possible in this instance.

That is the problem, it would take a lawyer and the associated costs to bring suit to make them prove the different weight oil actually was the cause of the failure and not just an escape mechanism to deny warranty.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act has language that they need to prove the use of non-specified item caused the problem. The issue is the FTC is not in the business of enforcing this but only gives the consumer and avenue to bring suit at their cost to sue against.

So the little busy body internet-lawyers are right in that it is better to stay in one's swim lane and use the recommended weight and specification oil to minimize arbitrary warranty denial when other weight and spec'd oils are used but have not been proven as the cause of the mechanical failure at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back