ford warranty issues with 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
my GF and her father have ford escapes. i tell them about synthetic, and they want to do it. But, they would buy the oil and bring it to the dealer for some reason. warranty reasons, they like the dealer etc. etc.

will mobil 1 supersyn 5w-30 satisfy the warranty? will ford have no problem putting it in?

also, when is the 0w-20 coming out? i just want the mobil 1 in those cars with no warranty voids....

Depending on the year, Ford can "recommend" either 5w-30 or 5w-20 for an engine, even though the design and construction are identical for the two model years. Case on point is my own F-150. My filler cap and manual say "5w-20". Two years ago, it was "5w-30".

Whether your dealer will honor the warranty is likely to be an individual, ad hoc decision on the part of that dealer.

I don't think it is a problem, if it is, its ridiculous. I had 5 qts. of Amsoil 5w-30 left over and had Ford put it into my wife's Focus. They didn't say anything about voiding the warranty.
You also have to remember that most likely, your engine will never fail due to the oil in it, unless you never changed it. If you have a Toyota with the sludge engine, thats a different story. I think some of the manuals for these new cars say you can use a 30wt., they just prefer a 20wt. I hope we see results come in to suggest that this new wave of 20wt oils are going to hold up. I say this bc the benefit of a 20wt., other then cold starting, is so insignificant in terms of gas MPG, which is why these wts. are coming around. With Mobil 1 too, your looking at a light 30wt. so it should be a great fit for your vehicle. Go for it!
smile.gif

BTW, 0w-20 should be out in March.

[ February 09, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I had 5 qts. of Amsoil 5w-30 left over and had Ford put it into my wife's Focus. They didn't say anything about voiding the warranty.

Until you bring it in with an expensive warranty claim. One cannot be sure that they will honor your warranty.

True, and if they really wanted to look for a way out, I'm sure they could. But I don't think they would and the oil I believe is ok to use according to her manual. I'll have to check on that though. It's a crime if these automakers want to start wiggling out of fixing problems by blameing the wt. of the oil as the culprit for problems that have nothing what so ever with the oil. Give US a break.

[ February 09, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

If the dealer puts it in they are an accessory to the crime.
lol.gif
They would have a tough time wiggling out of it.As a matter of fact-after they put it in. Who will know they put in the 30 wt unless they indicate it on the receipt??

good point al, and thanks for everyone elses input.

i guess i will wait for the mobil 1 0w-20 since she still has about 2k till oil change.

At my Ford dealership, the oil change staff are not the skilled, professional techs. They are entry-level young people for the most part. They could care less what oil they put in. They do not appear to have positions of responsibility or decision making.

I am sympathetic to the "accessory to the crime" argument. At the same time, I am cynical enough to believe that it is not beyond any corporate entity to take a hard-line, literal-interpretation stance in a situation that would cost them money.

I'm not being argumentative. Perhaps they'd never bother sampling and analysing the oil if it was thought to be relevant to whatever mechanical problem. But perhaps they would. My point is: there is no guarantee.

It sounds like they have a good relationship with the dealer. I would think that would go a long way in their favor if a warranty claim did arise.

There's also no guarantee if you use 5W-20 either. If the dealer is going to fight, they're going to fight.

[ February 09, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: mdv ]

hmmm yea, i guess this is a great place. they are friends with the salesman and a service guy. my GF claims that the regular old technicians do oil changes. last time they told them they wanted synthetic, and they got it for 9.99 oil change coupon... but found out it was semi-synthetic---probably that motorcraft syn. blend 5w-20?

its so outrageous the 5w-20 issue... i mean, i would think a 20 weight could cause damge instead of a 30 weight...

where i work, hondas in the quik lube get 10w-30.... sometimes 5w-30 but it doesnt matter... and we would still give the warranties. the technicians always have 5w-20 and 0w-20 honda oil all over the place...

Nothing is garanteed in life so if your that concerened about warranty concerns, just run the M1 0w-20 when it comes out, it should be a great synthetic choice. If you read on why cars are going to 20wt oils, you will realize it is all about fuel economy, nothing else.
Toyota recently started offering evening service to 9pm on certain week days. The guys they have in there are not up to par. I can't tell you how many mistakes they have made on simple things. On Saturdays, at the Ford dealer, they only have guys who will throw oil into your car. Your right too, they will put anything in there and not know or care what it is. (another reason to change the oil yourself). Which leads me to another topic of oil horor stories at quick lube change places....
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
5W-30 won't kill your engines.

I totally agree with you here, however I also agree that 5w20 won't kill your engines either, not when used for the first little while during the warranty. Then when the warranty is up, or almost up, switch to 5w30 and go on your merry way. If oil analysis shows the 5w20 was doing a good job (and I've yet to see a bad 5w20 report) then it didn't shorten the engine life any more than 5w30.

I keep wondering how much difference a single Centistoke makes with reagard to engine life.

Hypothetically, there's a pretty close approximation to no difference between a really high 20, and a really low 30.

So what's the real difference ?

On the other hand, you could be talking about a doubling of viscoscity at 100 degrees when comparing 20 and 30 weights.

Keep in mind EVERY 5W-20 report you've seen is a synthetic blend 5W-20 report.

look for a dino 5W-20 UOA. I doubt you'd find many.

I don't know why you keep bringing that up since there are no group 1/2 5w20s. AFAIK, every 5w20 out there is a strong mix of group 3 at least.

So there is no point arguing about an oil that does not exist.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
I keep wondering how much difference a single Centistoke makes with reagard to engine life.

Hypothetically, there's a pretty close approximation to no difference between a really high 20, and a really low 30.

So what's the real difference ?

This is one of my points. A lot of people on here that would never run a 5w20, will run Mobil 1 5w30, when in fact it's so close to being a 5w20 anyways. The difference between an oil that is 9.0cst at 100c, and Mobil 1 at 9.7, is so close that engine wear numbers will be virtually the same.

So if these 5w20s are so dangerous for engine life, that must mean 5w30 Mobil 1 is too. But yet I see lots of people using it with great success.

Eldawg,

check out this thread'
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000071

I have a 2001 F150 and the dealer has been doing my oil changes almost from the start (I did the first two). They've been putting in my Amsoil 0w-30 all along without ever saying a word...that is until I took it to them for a piston slap problem.

I'll go back to that thread to update with current info from last week.

In short, I would recommend using a 5w-20 until your warranty expires. Judging by some of the analysis posts here the Honda 5w-20 seems like a well made motor oil.

Mikep

[ February 10, 2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: mikep ]

quote:

This is one of my points. A lot of people on here that would never run a 5w20, will run Mobil 1 5w30, when in fact it's so close to being a 5w20 anyways. The difference between an oil that is 9.0cst at 100c, and Mobil 1 at 9.7, is so close that engine wear numbers will be virtually the same.

So if these 5w20s are so dangerous for engine life, that must mean 5w30 Mobil 1 is too. But yet I see lots of people using it with great success.

I agree with this. M1 5w-30 is so close to a 20 as is. It makes me so angry that these dealers try and blame there defects on the oil. Does anyone really think this is possible? I think it's a bunch of garbage. Knowing all of this, I'm throwing M1 0w-20 in my wife's Focus next time around. It's all a big game.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back